Troubles

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hawkeyeonme, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

I have a brand new lee single stage press and cant even figure out how to decap my hull! sorry its A 270 SHELL
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

From my knowledge from the Lee line, Lee does not make a shot shell reloader. Only metallic cartridge reloaders.
  3. RandyP

RandyP Member

4. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

Is the sizing die the same as the decapping die? There is not a video to show me what I am doing wrong.
  5. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

Might I suggest that you find someone to give you a hand in getting started. Reloading is serious business - fun and interesting but serious. Perhaps you can find someone near you that could give you a hand. I know I would enjoy helping if I were near by.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

In most cases yes if your using lee dies. RCBS sizing dies and decapping dies are separate. All I can think is that your decapping pin is not low enough or tight enough so when you press it out the pin actually goes up
  7. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

Quite right H-FR, the pin was to high thanks a bunch to all of you who responded!!!!
  8. cakes

cakes New Member

I think the instructions provided with Lee equipment are pretty good. Some of their instructions are listed online, too. That coupled with reading a loading manual cover to cover will get you going.

Helix FR: I have three different shot shell loaders made by Lee. The Load-All, Load-All Jr, and Lee Loader. FYI.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

hawkeyeonme:

Buy a manual and learn not only the processes of reloading but how cartridges work and the correct nomenclature, too. Once you have read the manual, and re-read it and re-read it again then start reloading but not until you thoroughly understand how cartridges work and the processes involved in reloading. By the way, the answer to your problem was in the instructions packaged with the dies.

Reloading is not like making cookies. Do it wrong and you and/or your gun may get seriously hurt. Don't rely on training from someone else who may pass on his bad reloading habits to you. Study up on the subject, then reload. OK?

When you are reloading educated come back here and ask any questions you have. We always want to help but you have to do your part first.

LDBennett
  10. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

I am trying to be a sponge right now! reading, learning and alot of thinking.
  11. medalguy

medalguy Member

Don't buy one manual and think it will tell you everything. Buy several and read them thoroughly, not all the data sections but the general information on reloading. There's also a book called The ABC's of Reloading, I think it is, and it's an excellent book.

Be sure you know what you're doing before you start reloading. Using the wrong powder or primer can have disasterous results. Keep in mind you are pulling the trigger on something that creates 50,000 pounds of pressure per square inch about 1-1/2 inches from your face and use all appropriate caution.

Reloading can be very rewarding and lots of fun, but you need to always keep in mind that it can have very serious results if you make a mistake. When reloading ALWAYS keep your focus on the task at hand.

Welcome to the boards, have fun, but BE SAFE!