Troy Gentry kills tame bear

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by rdowlg, Oct 31, 2010.

1. rdowlg

rdowlg New Member

2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't hunt, so my opinion probably doesn't matter.

Many years ago, one of my favorite shrooming spots had what could be best described as a treehouse in an open area surrounded by tall firs. In the early fall, I'd go in search of Boletes and this was a great spot for them.

All below and around the treehouse was bread. Everywhere you looked... bread. Sliced, whole loaves, buns, you name it. Bear food. To a black bear, the next best thing to honey or berries. Lure them in, fatten 'em up, then kill them.

Hunters use wildlife feeders, salt licks, and other stuff for the same purpose.
    They use calls, scents, breeding sounds, etc. Fishermen bait the water, and swampers use chicken on a hook for gators. Froggers use spotlights in the middle on the night.

I guess my point is, we seem to have no problems luring food to slaughter.
    We slaughter any number of animals for our consumption. We RAISE them to eat them.

Why is this man being crucified for something that's totally acceptible in another arena?
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Animals have rights. People don't. That is the mantra of these types.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. That is my philosophy.

Pops
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I think it's the hypocrisy that bothers everyone. And the lies about being a great hunter. Hunting is way more than the actual kill. At least for me. And no, I don't hunt anything I'm not going to eat . Not interested in trophies. Hard to live by,' cause sometime the game tastes like crap! But that's my rule.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

There's no such thing as a 'tame' bear. They are wild animals.

I've never owned a cat that didn't draw blood once in a while. And if ya let 'em outside, they WILL hunt. Thousands of years of 'domestication' does not change this fact.

Tame bear my sorry butt.:rolleyes:
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to me its plain and simple that very poor sportsmanship was involved here.i do realize that the bear probably needed to be put down because of health reasons but to stage a hunt like this is stupid.that the government just slapped his hand is normal.we all know that the people with money do not get the same treatment as us peons. old semperfi
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 to that.

I think that this case and the uproar caused is DESERVED ! Gentry showed NO class whatsoever and then tries to show off his "achievement" with a filmed video of the "hunt".

Anyone that is willing to watch the entire video will get a clear picture of what the uproar is about. Has nothing to do with PETA, nothing to do with "baiting" of game animals and has Everything to do with COMPLETE lack of class and sportsmanship.

Troy Gentry gets a Scumbag of the Year nomination from me this year; no matter what I previously thought of him or his music.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What Gentry did was the equivalent of using dynamite to do some fishing at the hatchery and then try to pass it off as a great Alaska wilderness trip; Crucification justified !
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Totally agree...I'd offer Mr. Gentry a hunting trip down this way for a few days with me as his guide/hunting parnter, and show him the "real way" we do it here. Good old fashion scouting things out from daylight til dark and no "luring" anything in but by which you do with what you can carry in your pockets. just my 2 cents worth...