Truck temp gauge help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JUNKKING, Jul 8, 2012.

1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Last Friday it was 96 degrees here in PA I was sitting in traffic with the air on and I noticed my temperature gauge climb to about 230 degrees. I put the truck in neutral and gave it a little gas and it seemed like the fan kicked on and the temp dropped back to about 195 where it always is.

Yesterday it was 97 again the same thing happened. I checked the coolant and it was good and the level was right where it should be hot and cold according to the lines on the reservoir bottle.

Do you think this happened because of just hot it was outside or does it need some type of servicing?

I was thinking maybe it needs flushed, Any ideas?
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

What kind of truck?

Tom
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

fan clutch not working properly sounds like; something is for certain not doing it's job, temp gauge should not climb like that even in higher heat if everything is functioning properly. Since it came back down, I'm guessing radiator and lines are fine.

if coolant is fine, start ruling out thermostat and waterpump also if the fan clutch isn't the problem. A flush would do ya good either way if it's been a couple years or so.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the thermo's can get stuck and depending how they operate can raise temps high until freed
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

Quote: Last Friday it was 96 degrees here in PA I was sitting in traffic with the air
    when your sitting in traffic you are not getting the same air flow as if you were going down the hiway. when you are stoped in traffic you dont realize, but when you pull close to the vehicle in front of you you are reducing the fresh air even more. you are sucking hot exhaust from the car in front of you.
    if it has a fan clutch, eliminate it
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I personally would just avoid long stops in high heat. the clutch could be going bad but I wouldn't worry much.
    FWIW some modern cars don't turn the electric fan on until about 235*
    I should also add that the AC being on is throwing out 200* air to the radiator and the fan clutch would already be engaged if the AC is working good (30-40 degree drop from outside temps)
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I first got my 76 Highboy, it did exactly what your is doing. My truck had ben sitting for about 10 years.

1st, I flushed the radiator and put in a new thermostat. It still did it but not as severe. 2nd, I installed a new clutch fan and I went with a heavy duty one. Problem solved.

Let us know what you come up with.
  8. geds

geds New Member

fixed
  9. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA!
  10. 76Highboy

GEDS!!! I didn't get that the first time. Back to my master plan.
  11. 76Highboy

You think that's funny hu? Mr. Smartie Pants.:D
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This problem is almost always the thermostat. This is the 1st thing I would do.
  13. hstout1143

When I took my driving test way back in '78 it was in my brothers '76 highboy with a 4 speed and 8" lift, he's always been a ford man and I've always been a Chevy ma. We rib each other about it all of the time and Geds reply sounds like something I would say to my brother, so, yes, I think that's hilarious. Here's a pic of my daily driver and last truck I'll ever need.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. 76Highboy

Ok, ok, fine. I wont start bashing your truck because I see it has enough problems. It is a nice ride. I was a GM mechanic for about 18 months and they are not bad. The thing is my truck is to me as an Glen67's Mustang is to him. One last thing. Your brother has great taste in trucks.
  15. hstout1143

He also has family and friends that he calls when it breaks down, which is often. HAHAHAHA