True Love! (Hi-Power)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 9:19:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All True Love! (Hi-Power)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know I'm gonna catch alot of flak, but I've just been through a whirlwind romance and have fallen hopelessly in love with the 9mm Hi-Power. I always liked them but had never really given them a chance. Then a friend of mine let me burn up a PILE of ammo in his Hi-Power at the range and I have to say that it was just a natural. I couldn't ask for a better hangun, at least not for my own needs. I mean I don't think I'd really change anything major even if I could have a "dream gun".
    I know that none of you guys have any opinions out there, but maybe someone could muster up a little feedback about their own unbiased experiences.
    Thanks,
    MO JENKINS

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 8:45:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: True Love! (Hi-Power)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've always wanted to shoot a hi power, but have never known anyone who had one. They sure feel good tho........

Steve

AntiqueDr
    (7/10/01 8:48:02 pm)
    Bravo, Mo! One of the classiest pistols of all time.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/10/01 9:17:24 pm)
    Okay what's the different between a Hi-Power 9mm and your normal variety???

I'm totally confused now (please no snide comments as all should realize that beyond aiming, shooting and cleaning I know nothing about weapons).

AntiqueDr
    (7/10/01 9:54:05 pm)
    Hi-Power is the model name of the commercial version of the FN P35 pistol, as imported by Browning. This is a picture of the "Renaissance" edition:

One of the classiest pistols ever made.

www.apaxenterprises.com

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 9:59:52 pm)
    AD, A mighty fine looking pistol there. Is that one in your collection?

AntiqueDr
    (7/10/01 10:15:27 pm)
    Unfortunately, no... That pistol belongs to David Ralston. I owned a Renaissance set up until last year, traded for an 1886 Winchester.

www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    (7/10/01 10:18:47 pm)
    Oh my - that is a very beautiful looking weapon - I'd be afraid to shoot it!!!

And thank you AntiqueDr for explaining it to me.

Xracer
    (7/11/01 7:46:50 am)
    "T"....here's the Plain Jane version: www.angelfire.com/vt/mils...power.html

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 7:05:38 pm)
    The Hi-Power is a great pistol but it just doesn't allow the
    tinkerer to do very much..Perhaps that is because it is close
    to being perfect as it is..
    Wish I still had the ones I was talked out of,kept one out of
    four and just can't find replacements..No new ones allowed
    in this great state..

irishpoet
    (7/14/01 5:46:47 pm)
    I had a Hi-Power until I let my wife shoot it. Big mistake. Now she has a Hi-Power.

TallTLynn
    (7/14/01 5:54:51 pm)
    irishpoet - I think you need to start hinting to your wife about a getting you a nice birthday present or Christmas present (maybe a pretty Hi-Power)!!!

agent mango
    (7/31/01 11:30:25 pm)
    Total newbie here.
    Would you recommend the Hi-Power as the ideal 9mm for a beginner?
    I gather its operation is different than a glock, for example, because you must worry about what order you reload and relese the slide....

Alphamale
    (8/1/01 12:39:04 am)
    Welcome agent mango. A Hi-Power would be good for a newbie. It's accurate, and 9mm is soft shooting. The only major thing that's different between the way a Glock works and a HP works is that the HP has a manual safety and a single action trigger. While the Glock doesn't have a manual safety and has a semi double action trigger.
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

Xracer
    (8/1/01 6:54:23 am)
    Welcome Agent Mango!

If you're a total beginner to handgun shooting, I'd recommend you start with a .22....some like a Ruger. The ammo is very cheap, so you can do a lot of shooting and build your skills. Then, when you feel you're ready, you can move up to something larger.

If you mean you're new to 9mm.....you can't do much better than a Browning Hi-Power.

agent mango
    (8/1/01 7:10:41 am)
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think a .22 would be something nice for me to start with. I noticed Browning made some .22 pistols as well, how do they stack up to Ruger's and other companies?

The thing is, I do not know if my last question was anything other than academic, because I live in Canada. I have looked but am unable to find Canadian Law on the owning and use of firearms. I do not even know if the general public is allowed to buy handguns! But now that I think of it, the best way to find out would to go to a local gunshop and ask the proprietor.

Rons Toys
    (8/1/01 8:08:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del agent mango - FYI
    Welcome agent mango!

Here are a couple of web sites that may be of help to you.

www.nfa.ca/

www.canadianfirearms.com/Default-en.html

www.cila.org/

The last one has info about the c-68 and other pending bills

Ron

gunny6
    (8/1/01 11:14:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: agent mango - FYI
    I really am enjoying mine, yep it`s a shooter........

gunny6
    (8/1/01 11:18:04 am)
    Sure would like too know how you guys post pictures. In plain talk, don`t understand...URL.......JPG........

Bob In St Louis
    (8/1/01 8:01:50 pm)
    I had a couple of the Canadian made Inglis Hi-Powers for years - loved those guns. I eventually traded them off. Now when I see what those Inglis version Hi-Powers are going for, I wish I still had them!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

agent mango
    (8/1/01 8:32:38 pm)
    Thanks Ron Toys.
    I know I must go to a gun training place and get a firearms and restricted firearms license once I turn 18 in two months, if I wish to own a pistol.
    But maybe you could clear me up on a couple of things.

1) I could give the reason for wanting a .22 as target practice. Would that same reason work with a Hi Power 9mm?
    2) Instead of having to purchase a pistol right away, do gun clubs exist where guns are lent while you are there? I live in a major metropolitan area, Toronto, Ontario.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/1/01 8:59:41 pm)
    Gunny6, send me an e-mail and I will send you a step by step lesson plan on posting Gif, jpg and photo's above_the_law53@hotmail.com
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Rons Toys
    (8/2/01 6:33:43 am)
    agent mango, not trying to avoid the question I would tell you to contact someone through one of the links to give you an answer to your question. I would really feel bad if I told you something that I really don't know much about your gun laws. Off the top of my head I would be hard pressed to claim that a Hi-power was a "target gun" maybe a 1911 style 45 with a 22lr kit might fit better.
    Good luck! Ron

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/2/01 11:55:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del My True Love posted bu Gunny6
    ; My Hi-Power shooter; "T" series, engraver unknown,
    I was told it came from the estate of an old Texas
    Ranger when I bought it...Nice story, but who
    knows.........GUNNY6

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

gunny6
    (8/2/01 12:01:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My True Love posted bu Gunny6
    Thanks for posting my picture BlackGun, just felt like showing off today..........6...yes I said 6 grand-kids spending some prime time with grand-ma and grand-pa..I`m about to crack up.......never knew a week was sooooooooooo long !!!!!

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/2/01 9:00:36 pm)
    agent mango,
    Greetings my friend. Please join us and move to the good ol' U.S. of A. Maybe you can help us rescue this once great nation. I mean no disrespect when I say that Canada is a lost cause. C'mon down and join us!!!! I have just moved to New Hampshire last week and am free to buy handguns, take them to the range, shoot 'em, transport 'em and do just about anything else EXCEPT carry loaded and concealed (which one needs a permit for). Is this a great country or what?!!?
    By the way, the Hi-Power is pure pleasure! I am now looking for another!
    MO JENKINS

agent mango
    (8/4/01 6:46:16 pm)
    Funny you mention that MO. Both my parents originally come from Brooklyn, New York, so I have a dual citizenship for both Canada and America.

However, for at least the next four years I plan to stay in Canada because University/College is drastically cheaper here. But I do not know, maybe someday I will move to America.

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 7:13:41 pm)
    Mango,
    I'm glad you already have your U.S. citizenship. Just keep posting, buddy, and stay in touch. You just never know, you might end up living in New Hampshire some day!
    "Never, Never, Never Quit!" Winston Churchill
    Your Buddy,
    MO

TimBorg
    (1/11/02 7:22:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del HI-Power clone Hungarian R9 DA
    I'ze likes it:

tuckerd1
    (1/11/02 7:49:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: HI-Power clone Hungarian R9 DA
    Welcome TimBorg! Hope you join in the fun!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)