1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Trying to decide - trade or modify?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by cec, Feb 18, 2007.

1. cec

cec New Member

In the next couple of months I should be in position to make a decision about my Kimber Custom Compact.

While I like the pistol and have no problems with it per say, it is starting to show it's age (wear) and it doesn't have all of the features I want. I am also getting a case of NGS (New Gun Syndrome).

In order to make it into the pistol I want will cost about $600. That is the cost for a Wilson Trigger, Night Sites, and Armor-Tuff finish.

The trade decision is based on the fact that the Kimber CDP II line has everything I want on it, minus the finish. I would be looking at the Ultra or Compact.

I could trade in my current pistol and use the money for the mods to make up the difference or modify the current pistol.

I have been rolling this around the empty space I call my head and was wondering what you folks would do in this case?

Some of the items I have already thought of:

1. There really is no wrong decision, I don't think I will be unhappy either way.

2. I have no personal connection to my current Kimber. It was my first 1911 purchase, but that's it.

3. While the new pistol wouldn't have the armor-tuff finish, the finish on the CPD II should be able to handle holster wear.

4. If I chose the modification route, I would be without my carry piece for a few weeks. The trade would mean no gap in my ability to carry. (The only other piece I have that is worth carrying is a SW4506, but I would have to buy a holster for it).
  2. smallblock

smallblock New Member

just to let you know ,the cdpII doe's handle the holster wear really good.
  3. cec

cec New Member

Thanks for letting me know. I figured the finish would be able to, but it nice to have confirmation.
  4. mley1

mley1 New Member

I had a CDP Pro that I liked real well. The black finish on the fram did scratch pretty easy though. The stainless slide didn't show any wear at all. It was one of the most accurate and reliable 1911's I've ever owned. I wish I still had it.