Trying to determine value of A. H. Fox Sterlingworth s x s.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by crackerjack, Oct 27, 2010.

1. crackerjack

crackerjack New Member

I have a 1927 circa Fox double barrel. I have had the gun a long time and have never tried to determine it's value. I am not positive of the gauge but am 99.9% sure to be a 16 ga. Has a 6 digit ser. # 359XXX. If you need more on ser. # let me know. Has 28" barrels, matching numbers, 3 on barrel grade, I would estimat it to have about 50% bluing (it is not silver colored), engraving is still evident but not pronounced. Checkering is in good shape. 1issue is that it has a hairline fracture in the stock at the pistol grip. Stock is still extremely tight however. Philadelphia, PA gun. Let me know if other info is needed. I just thought it was time to know what I had, thanks in advance for any assistance.
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Crackerjack,

Yes, it is a 16 gauge as determined by the serial number. 16 gauge A. H. Fox Sterlingworths were serial numbered beginning with 350001 and getting up to around 363000 + or -.

28 inch barrels is pretty much standard barrel length for a 16.

Judging by your description: "50% bluing and a hairline crack in the stock", I would say your gun would be worth in the $400 to $700 range. More or less depending on how bad the crack is and how the rest of the gun looks.

Unless it has been changed, your gun probably has 2 9/16 inch chambers and shooting modern 2 3/4 inch shells in it may cause your wood problems. The longer shells result in a higher recoil.

Your gun SN'ed in the 359XXX range was probably made in the 1920's in Philadelphia.

Can you show us some pictures? That would help in establishing more accurate values.

Hope this helps.

Anyone else care to comment.

Jolly