The Firearms Forum banner

trying to find Jim Hauff

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fuzebox40 
#1 ·
I have been trying to acquire some definative information about an iver johnson pistol i purchased 6 years ago, funny thing is i've been looking for 5 years... i am really hoping your the new expert who can answer my question.

the pistol seems to be a top break automatic cylinder is free wheeling at rest owl is facing the barrel it is hammerless chambered for 38 cal the serial number has no prefix and no suffix letter and is only 5 digits i was lead to believe it was manufactured between 1894 to 1897 ,please sir if you have some information for me it would definately be much appreciated!

the outside of the pistol is in bad shape sorry i can't give more of a specific description thanks in advance for any information that you may have, by the by i've been searching for a copy of Mr. Goforth's book however it seems no library except the library of congress has a copy, and they don't do check outs.

#2 · (Edited)
Jim Hauff may see your note here, but the best place to find him is on the "Ask the pros" forum where you posted for Bill Goforth.

I am sure someone already said this, but pictures would be highly desireable. I will tell you that if you have the First Model Large Frame Hammerless, (with the "L" latch) it was made in 1894; if you have the Second Model (with the "T" latch and two posts on the frame, it was made in 1895.

You can order Bill Goforth's book from www.gunshowbooks.com.

Jim

#3 ·
vinni: the book will run you about 35 bucks and is well worth it. If you are into the Iver J's and you have or expect to have more than just the one then I highly recomend it. I was fortunate enough to pick Bills brain before he recently passed so there was no hury to run out and buy the book but I'm thankfull to have it now and mighty glad he wrote it. Anyway this forum and its members are great and if you still need more info, as Jim said any more information on its description will help, especialy pics.
Hats off to Bill, he was a giver!

#4 ·
Vinni,
I have no in depth knowledge of Iver Johnson firearms. That was Bill G's area - I spent too much time on H&Rs and have not seriously, branched out to the other "old time" manufacturers. Sorry. There are a couple other knowledgable gents on this site who have copies of Bill G's IJ book - they surely can help you.

#5 ·
thank for the response i will check out the web site to pick up a copy, hey Fuse Box if you got a chance send me a private message and i'll give you the exact serial number the pistol is a t latch but right now i don't have a way to send pictures. if you don't mind looking up the serial number let me know i'll check in again tomorrow, again thank for all the hospitality to all you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.