Trying to ID a couple of synthetic stocks.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by fuzebox40, Dec 20, 2011.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Just thought I'd see if anyone would have any idea how I might figure out what these two stocks are for. I've been unsuccessful thus far.
    No identifying marks other than the little silvery badge which says "Savage Arms Co" They are for the most part identical except for the barrel beds, one is much wider, for a shotgun I would have to assume as it's even wider than my Ithaca 12g. Both are for bolt action.
    The narrower barreled one I had hoped might work as one I needed but no such luck. They're unused but I got them dirt cheap so I took a chance. Now what to do with them I don't know, especialy since I haven't figured out their place in the world. In any case I welcome any feedback though I realize that's not much to go on. I'd probably throw them in the prize pool if they were deamed worthy of it but I'm doubting that.
  2. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Attached Files:

3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Attached Files:

4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The shotgun stock looks like it is off the Savage Model 220 Slug Gun. The rifle stock looks like its off of a Savage/Stevens package series rifle with blind magazine.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Stone is right on.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont think the bigger stock is for a slug gun. No magazine protrusion in the floor plate.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/220F

They are both blind box stocks. The smaller one is for a savage 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 short action with a standard sporter contour barrel no heavier than #4.

And the bigger stock just looks like a stock for a savage 110, 111, 114, 116 long action with a heavy barrel channel for varmint or bull barrels.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Josh is right. They both look like factory take-offs from Savage 110-family actions, one short-action standard and a long-action varminter.

Measure the dimensions of the action area. I'd bet they measure the same except for the length between the action screws.
    Short action 10:
    7.25" between the action screws
    4.275" from the front action screw to the front trigger guard screw.
    Long action 110:
    8.00" between the action screws
    5.0625" from the front action screw to the front trigger guard screw.

The 220 Action has a larger diameter than the standard 110 series. I think the 220 might be the same diameter as the WSM Savage action but I'm not sure, I don't have any of either model to measure.
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Oh, the remnants of the AccuTrigger sticker is a Savage dead giveaway on the short-action too. :)
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im certain the larger one is off a varmint rifle. I just noticed the second sling swivel stud hole.
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Ok they both measure the same between screw holes, as per this short action quote. The wide barrel stock is a good inch accross, the other about 3/4.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They are both short action savage stocks then, one for a sprter and the other for a varmint gun.
  12. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

The pictures may be a bit deceiving. Both stocks are the same length and the action area inside is also the same.

Attached Files:

13. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

The action area seems incredibly wide compared to anything I own, but then my only Savage is a Sears mod. 2200 .22. Are these fairly commonly used or are they worthless?
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

List them on Ebay. folks are always looking for spare stocks to work with. You never know how many home gunsmiths have tried to bed their stocks and screwed up. Thats your market.
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

16. 436

436 New Member

I thought at one time Ram Line and Choat made contract stocks for Savage... You might check with them.
  17. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I'm really not concearned about getting my money back out of these as I am with finding a use for them like someone who needs one. For a moment I thought of donating them to the TFF monthly drawing but then realized it wouldn't be an item that anyone here is likely to need because stocks obviously aren't generic to any rifle, thus interest would be minimal to none. If I'm wrong, may someone let me know but anyway knowing what they're for is a step foreward.
    Again, thanks all.