1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Trying to Identify this Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by desiree, Feb 24, 2009.

1. desiree

desiree New Member

Can anyone help me identify this pistol? Let me know what you need to help identify it? On the side of the barrel and part of the frame is the number 302. Under the grips, there is a 88 and on the opposite side of the hand grips it looks like a TD. It is a folding trigger. There is no firing pin built into the hammer and it is a double action pistol. On the top of each side of the barrel are 8 dots. On the very top there is 6 dots and one big dot. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
    Desiree

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It's typical of those firearms made in France and Belgium during the late 1800's. It looks Belgium. There were dozens, perhaps hundred of small cottage gun shops in Belgium at the time. These types of revolvers were turned out by all of them. France was not far behind in manufacturing these types of folding trigger revolvers. You can look for proof marks and or makers marks to try and ID the country. If it's Belgium somewhere on the firearm will be the letters ELG in a circle or oval. You may have to remove the cylinder to see the face and the grips.I have seen dozens of these and the makers are unknown. Value is as a curiosity and display, perhaps a couple of hundred. One good site that has a abundance of different proof and makers marks is http//damascus-barrels.com/ just click on the Free extras.
  3. desiree

desiree New Member

Thanks Ron for the information. Can you get shells for this pistol? Is the firing pin incorporated in the shell?

Thanks
    Desiree
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not really an expert on these old guns, however most of them that were large caliber were 12MM (There's nothing to show scale but it looks to be a large caliber ). It's hard to tell but it doesn't appear to be a pin fire, perhaps someone with better eyes than main can tell. Ammo in either case would be , if not non existent, then very scarce. Now, if it were mine, even if ammo was available and I wanted to fire it, I would use the rope and tire methot. Tie the gun to a old tire, tie a long rope to the trigger, hide behind a tree and pull. There are some old guns that should not be fired, bu rather retired to a display case. JMO, hope that helps :)
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photos but it's probably a small caliber rimfire (a photo of the hammer cocked or held back would tell). At any rate, do NOT consider firing this antique with modern ammunition!
  6. desiree

desiree New Member

Here are 2 more pictures of the pistol with it cocked. Each cylinder has a slot cut in for the bullets.

Thanks
    Desiree

Attached Files:

7. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

It looks like you might have a french pinfire revolver from the late 1800's. Yes, the ammo has the firing pin built in coming out of the base of the cartridge at a 90 degree angle hence the slots in the cylinder.
  8. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

Looks to be made by Lefaucheux.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

And as Stated, it is a pin fire. 1911 fan, where do you get the Lefaucheux from. did you see some makers marks?? With out proof marks it looks like a typical French/Belgium pin fire.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  10. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

You actually said the opposite and that is why I said what i did.
  11. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member