Trying to reconcile 9mm reloading recipes

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by holmerja1, Dec 9, 2009.

1. holmerja1

holmerja1 New Member

I haven't been reloading for about 10 years, and took it back up now that I have time to devote to it again. Historically I have loaded rifle rounds and .41 Mag rounds, so I am new to the autoloading pistol calibers. I bought some dies, 124 gr Hornady TMJ bullets and started looking at making a load. for recipes I found:

Lyman 46th ed:
    125gr SP using Unique 4.1gr to 5.3gr
    Speer 11th ed:
    124gr TMJ using Unique 5.5gr to 5.9gr
    Current Alliant recipe from website:
    124gr GDHP using Unique 5.8 gr (no mimumum listed)

I loaded some rounds with 5.5 gr (minimum from Speer 11th ed), but now I wonder if they are too hot. I want to load more for the economics (and fun of reloading) in this caliber, so I don't want a hot load, more like a "gun-lasts-forever" and safe range load.

Can some of you knowledgeable experts weigh in? I do intend to pick up a more recent reloading data manual, so I am curious about opinions on that too. Thanks in advance for any/all input.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

For the 124 TMJ 5.5gr unique is my absolute favorite hands down, I have worked up to 5.9gr and it seemed to lose accuracy, no worries yours are not too hot shoot em up!
  3. neilin

neilin New Member

I have loaded 4.5 grains of Unique with a 120 grain round nose lead bullet for years, that works well in a variety of 9mm pistols.
  4. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Can help as far a the ‘expert’ advise (although my wife sometimes suggests I might be when pronounced differently. . .), but been loading similar loads for awhile.

Not to worry about the load you listed being too hot, I might bump that up to maybe 5.6gr. I agree w/ 312' too, getting much over this load will hurt you groups (I wonder about 5.9gr – re tight groups NOT stress to the weapon). You didnt say what you are shooting this through, but doubt you’d stress anything out there possibly excepting a Chinese saturday-night special’ belly gun.

Hope this helps a little,

Miles
  5. holmerja1

holmerja1 New Member

Thank you for the replies. I usually wouldn't have though too much about it, except, I was 0.2 gr above what Speer listed as the maximum. It seemed pretty odd that there was no overlap between manuals at all.

I think I will probably load about 20 rounds with 5.3 and 5.1 grains each and see how they all cycle in my Magnum Research Baby Eagle, but it also seems pretty heavily built too.

A sincere thanks for the input.