TUBB Final Finish

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bigr Bang Thry, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks...
  2. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

PROGRESS REPORT:
    After speaking with rep from IMR/Hodgdon/Winchester powders, they could not confirm that IMR 4227 was a safe load. I then once again called TUBB and spoke with them about how critical velocity was, and their reply was that the slower, the better. They suggested using IMR Trail Boss and filling the cartridge to the shoulder. IMR confirms that this is acceptable.

I bought a can of Trail Boss, and loaded the first ten rounds with 23.0 gr. The case will hold just over 24 gr when filled to the bottom of the neck.

I went to the range twice this week after work, and fired 5 rounds each day, cleaning thoroughly between each round. Now I'm ready to load the second group of bullets, and do it all again.

Details to follow...
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive done the TB route as well. Problem is the velocity os so low that the POI isnt sufficient to set a scope up in the process. I like to kill the 2 birds with 1 stone and get the scope dialed in while im doing the barrel. I did my remage .243 with TB and all the bullets keyholed, the barrel came out perfect but the scope didnt get set up..
  4. karlrudin

karlrudin Member

A note on imr4227. Lyman says max for 7mmMag is 34gr for a CAST LEAD BULLET. This caught my eye because it was the same powder w/about the same charge the completely destroyed a Remington made Springfield 30-06A3 I was shooting. I still have brass in face to prove it. Be very careful. Nobody should have to go through that experience. So if these bullets y'all are talking about aren't cast lead, dont do it. Took me two months to see again.
  5. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Another progress report:

The second group of ten bullets have been fired with a thorough cleaning between each one, and the third group has been loaded, ready to go back to the range again. Between the recent rain and getting other things taken care of, it may be Wednesday at the earliest this week that I'm able to get out to shoot and clean for a few hours ( weather permitting ), but so far, the rifle seems as though it's starting to clean easier. The Trail Boss is working well, but that is some DIRTY powder.

More details to follow...
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is aint it. very sooty for a light white powder.

Now that youve progressed thru the 2 coarsest grits youve just about removed all the tool marks in the barrel. the next 3 stages are polishing and burnishing. By the time you do the fifth stage those patches will 'squeak' down the bore, even when it fouled..
  7. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

So, here's the latest...

Groups 3 & 4 have been sent down range with a thorough cleaning after every other shot. Group 5 has been sent down range with a cleaning after the 5th shot and again at the end of the group. After that, I put 20 rounds of factory ammo through the rifle, stopping at 10 to give the bore a quick swabbing with Powder Blast, and to look for any signs of copper fouling. I could not see any copper at that point. After the 20th round, again I swabbed with Powder Blast and looked for copper. There was a light amount of copper showing, but definately not as much as previously encountered. A thorough cleaning with Barnes solvent showed that there was some copper fouling, as the patches became blue in color. It was, however, much easier to remove than before the fire lapping system.

I will again try a bunch of different factory ammo to see if the gun likes any of it, and then attempt to tailor a custom round for the gun. Time will tell if the system had any great effect or not. I can only hope that it helped. I've got too much time and money tied up in this gun if it won't shoot well.

Just a question for those of you familiar with this round, How accurately would you expect this rifle to shoot ? This is a Rem 700 BDL, with a Leoupold VX-2 (4-12 x 40). The bases and rings are both Leoupold, and are both steel. Am I perhaps expecting too much out of the 7mmRem Mag ? I should think that 1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards would be quite reasonable. I don't expect 1-hole groups, but of the factory ammo that I've tried in this gun, the smallest 10-shot group was just under 2" at 100 yards. Many of them were considerably larger, some over 8" ! The smallest group of handloads previous to the Tubb system was 1-1/2 ". I think the gun should do better, don't you ?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Bed it and float it and it will shoot better than 1" at 100 yds. If you are having issues with grouping at this point its likely not the rifle its self unless it has a headspacing issue