Tula Ammo: A non-scientific report

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Redbeard, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

So, the local Wally-World had some .45 acp Tula Ammo for sale. So, I grabbed some wondering what the deal was with the steel-cased ammo. It's 230 grain FMJ.

I took my Kahr CW45 and Remington R1 to the range. I got 4 rounds out of the Kahr and it jammed. I had to drop the magazine and rack the slide with more force than I would like. Got the round to come out. Case had a nasty gouge where the extractor connected. Gaining wisdom from this I decided to swap to the R1. The remainder was shot with the R1.

Felt recoil versus Winchester white-box 230 grain is less. I'm guessing that it shoots a little slower. The difference felt like shooting a 9mm versus a .45.

Accuracy (from my arms not a bench) was good. At ten yards I could hold 2-3 inch groups (with the occasional flier :rolleyes: ).

Although some folks have complained that it is "dirty" I noticed it shoots about as clean if not cleaner than Winchester white-box.

All-in-all not bad ammo. For the price differencein buying at Wally-world I'll stick to the 100rd packs of Winchester .45 acp. If buying in bulk I'll stick to Blazer (another "controversial" ammo).

Oddly enough this stuff reminds me of the the Wolf .223 (5.56mm) I used to shoot out of my Bohica M-16SA. Everyone told me it was worthless ammo and it would jam in my gun. I never had a bad round cycled just fine. Could hold an MOA with iron sights at 100 yards. Only down side was the sealant they put on the primers left red gunk to be cleaned off after a trip to the range. A buddy of mine had another AR-15 (DPMS I think) and the wolf jammed in his gun every fifth round.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yeah Tula, Wolf or the "Bears" offer up some pretty low cost ammo, performance is shady at best and I'm yet another who can attest to wolf jamming my action in my AR-every shot. A good quote I read in reference to which ammo is better Wolf, Tula, or Bear...

"This is like walking into a fine jewelry store and asking which brand of fake Zircon diamond reproductions is the best."
  3. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

I think it's just the steel cases. Like I said. The Wolf .223 worked fantastically. I loved it.

Same with the Tula. It shoots just fine out of the 1911. It's the Kahr CW45 that had issues feeding/ejecting it. I'm not going to buy more because it will limit me to shooting only the 1911.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I've shot the 9mm, .40 and 7.62x39 Tulammo. The x39 works perfectly in my Saiga (commie ammo for commie guns, they say) that I buy a box or two every time I'm in Walmart. The .40 worked fine in my SW40VE, but that thing would eat anything I threw in it. Performance seemed to be right along with what I usually shoot in the .40, about the same power as the PMC that I shoot and a tad under the Blazer brass cased stuff.

Now the 9mm, on the other hand...while it was just as dirty as any other commercial ammo I've shot, I was not happy at all with the power on it. In my P95, it often seemed as if it barely cycled the slide, at one point I even felt a pause as it chambered a round and actually checked visually to make sure the slide was all the way forward. I won't buy anymore of it in 9mm, especially since I can buy the 100 round pack of Federal at Walmart for the same price.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i kinda expect siaga and ak style guns to pretty much digest anything that even slightly fits the chamber and has a projectile that can be made to go down the bbl... :) probably not a good indicator if the amo is good or not.... ;)