Tula Amunition

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mr.t7024, Dec 8, 2011.

1. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I just bought some in .223. They 62 grain FMJ., with metal cases. I removed the bullet to one and I could wire brush the copper off, and the bullet would adhere to a magnet. Anyone have any thoughts what would happen if you send a steel bullet down a steel barrel. BTW the folks at Ruger suggest not to use any foreign ammo in their firearms. My Wife bought me a mini 14 for Christmas ,that is why this question.:confused:
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Three layer bimetal jackets use very soft steel. The ordinance grade steel of a rifle barrel is so much more hard than the soft bimetal jacket it won't hurt it at all. I shoot unreal amounts of RWS 9x19mm and it uses bimetal. It is one of the most accurate loads in my XD and the barrel has over 20000 rounds with a good portion being bimetal jacket projectiles. The barrel still looks new after a good cleaning.

Don't worry about it and shoot it up!!
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Is the Russian ammo up to our standards? The folks at ruger said the primers could corrode the firing pin,your thoughts. I appreciate your thoughts, just concerned about my ranch rifle!:)
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

The person you talked to has no clue what they said. Tula does not use corrosive priming. Your firing pin is so much more hard than any primer out there that I have a hard time believing that person knows anything about firearms and ammunition.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I wouldn't use Tula no matter what. We banned it from being used at the range. out of a box of 20 223 we had 3 squibs. Customer had 5 boxes of 380. 10 squibs. I've replaced 2 barrels bc of Tula ammo. No quality control. Some have no powder, some are underpowered.
  6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Thanks for the heads up Helix, hope you been well! Merry Christmas.
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I have seen guns that needed new barrels because a squib with a normal round fired behind it caused a bulge from the big 3. I seen alot of rounds go down range and have seen all kinds of guns need repairs because of ammo problems.

Not doubting what you say at all. I am just as curious as the next shooter. What was the reason for a new barrel to be needed? Rifle or handgun? Just looking for some info. Last time I seen a gun ruined by a squib was with a HK 45 USPS. The ammo was federal. I have plenty of federal still on hand right now and not a single round of Tula. Tula blows, I hate it. Barnaul, Ulyanovsk, Vympel, and Klimovsk is waaaaaay better than Tula and they all use bimetal. I never seen a barrel worn out from it, never. From my experiences there would be something else that would cause the failure other than the soft bimetal jacket.

Just picking your brain my man. Trying to learn anything I can and I trust what alot of you guys say here and you are one. So help me out brother!
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Thank-you, I appreciate your thoughts and the quickness of your responses.This will be my second center fire rifle and to be on the safe side I will be returning the ammunition and buying some Federal .223 Thanks again for all the prompt responses. :)

Cliff
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its not wearing the barrels out or doing anything like that. Its the fact that the ammo has no or low powder. Its dangerous b/c you can blow up your gun, not that it wears it out any faster. Also its not just a bad lot of ammo. S&B had this issue a few months back. Its across the board, different calibers, different lots. So far have seen it in 223, 380 and 9mm. Some boxes are fine but some have multiple now powder or low powder. We had a guy renting a Christianson AR and was shooting Tula 223 in it. Rapid fire, low power round. Cycled the gun, next round split the barrel.
  10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Is this ammo sold under the brand name of "Tulammo"?
  11. zant

zant Active Member

Can't speak for anyone else,but my squirtgun LOVES Tula FMJ 9mm...no problems in 2 yrs.
  12. Ken W

Ken W Member

I use Tulammo constantly and have never had any issue. Yet, anyway.
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I had problems with the varnish on the steel cased ammo in my AR15...I would never use it in that gun again, but maybe in a pistol caliber
  14. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The Nice folks at North Shore Firearms in Middleton,MA allowed me to return all the boxes of the Tula Ammo & exchange for some Federal 5.56 Federal. By the way, their prices on new firearms are awesome, the best around and their staff are very friendly& knowledgeable. If You live in MA , You would be doing yourself a disservice if you do not drop in even for just a visit! :)