Tumbler Media Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Claudius Valarium, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    How long can I expect tumbler media to last? And, how can I tell if it's ready to be changed?

I have added a few capfuls of Cabela's polish to walnut media and have cleaned about 1000 cases.

CV
  2. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

I find it lasts longer if you don't use polish. However polish gives it a more lubricated feel and nicer look. Usually when the media starts to get pretty dark from the carbon I change it. 3 or 4 cleanings minimum.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I get at least a year out of treated walnut; approx 5000pc per year. I just changed my media at the end of last month; it was approx 18-20mo old and getting a little dirty and the grit was breaking down to finer particles. I take used dryer sheets and cut each one into approx 6-8 pieces; add these to the media when you add your brass. ( approx 15-30 min after you've added any polish ) I change out the dryer sheets each batch, they pick up alot of dust and debris.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use mine til its black, then change it out. sometimes it lasts a year, sometimes a month, depends on how often I tumble
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Corn cob media has a pretty short life whereas Walnut shell media seems to last forever for me.

Remember that corn cob media cleans only adequately but give a polish to the brass. Walnut shell media cleans very well but gives the brass a more satiny finish. With the walnut shell media this is no problem if you use any of the name brand die sets (other than LEE) as they burnish the brass making it smooth and shinny. After reloading it is hard to tell which cleaning media was used, in my experience, except the corn cob media cleaned brass may have powder stains still on it. More time in the vibratory cleaner with corn cob media may eventually remove even those hard to remove stains (like overnight). While I have not tested it, the LEE Factory Crimp Die for pistol cartridges may do the burnishing the regular Lee seating die fails to do adequately???).

I use the walnut shell media and run my Dillon Vibratory Brass cleaner for about 3 hours and find that adequate for my purposes.

LDBennett
  6. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Thanks. The walnut media is starting to turn darker color. And, just wanted to know how long I could push it. I'm trying not to add too much of the polish, so that's still a work in progress - trying to get the mix right. I'll make sure I'm adding the polish a half hour before the brass goes in - I have not been doing that. Wondered about that the first time I put in the polish.
    CV
  7. Whipper

Whipper New Member

Stainless steel last forever. :D
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

My routine is to add NuFinish car polish to the media ( works great and it's cheap) about a glug to the barrel, run it 10 minutes before putting brass in, and throw several cut-up dryer sheets to trap the dirt. Also add a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits every other load to soften up the carbon on the brass and reactivate the polish.

I can run cob a long time by doing these few things to extend its life. I may change the media out after maybe 20 loads or 20,000 rounds of rifle brass. I have a LARGE tumbler.
  9. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I use walnut shell first. I then deprime and size. Next I run it in the tumbler with corncob and polish. I change media after about 5000 rounds. Check out an industrial supply store for both types of media. 50lb bag of corncob for $18. I think the walnut was even cheaper than that.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

^^^ I get mine at harbor freight ^^^
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

springerbuster, Where do you get yours for so cheap? I have spent in the mid 30's for 50lb corncob. Please post link.

Jla, how much is yours and can you post link.

I use nufinish as well and tumblers. I got off ebay from this guy. Originally rock polisher and they work awesome. I just add a glug as well. It is around 7 a bottle here. If anyone can get cheaper, please post.

J
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

they arent lisying it on the website j, I hit the HF off hwy 26 in NRH when i need more fine corn cob and they have it. Dunno why they arent listing it on the website, all they got listed there is cramic media...
  13. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

I use about 70% corncob 30% walnut. It will last me 6 months to a year depends on how much you use it.
  14. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I go to a store called LaGrand industrial supply. It is located in Portland Oregon. They sell different types of media for sandblasting in the construction industry. I think that they are just local, but I would think that in other city's there would be the same type of stores.
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Thanks for the input.

J