tumbler media?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Nov 26, 2011.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

Can I use walnut sand blaster media in a tumbler to clean brass? Or is the walnut media from the gun stores completly different?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That sandbalster media is incredibly dusty stuff. the media for cleaning cartridge cases is usually much cleaner. No reason you cant use it though. Just keep in mind it will make a cloud when you run it in a tumbler..
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

like JLA stated, it's just a different grit/grade. No reason at all that you can't use it. If you want to sift the finer stuff out, get a mesh sieve and stand up wind when you do it. If you treat it, you'll have to let it run for at least 20min before adding your brass. The finer stuff will tend to clump up and you'll need to let those clumps break back up.
  4. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

cause my local hardware store sells is for about $18 for 25 lbs. and i have a coupon for $10 off the next purchase. i ccan pick up BOUT 25 LBS for about 8 bucks. just wasnt sure if it was a good thing to use
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have had the best luck with treated corn cobb.
  6. medalguy

medalguy Member

Yeah there's a difference.....the gun store stuff is twice as expensive.:rolleyes:

Seriously, use the cheaper stuff. Sometimes it can be dustier, and in that case, add a capful or two of plain mineral spirits and a cut-up dryer sheet (2 inch squares is good) to the mix. The mineral spirits will aid in removing the carbon and crud from the brass, and hold down the dust. The dryer sheet will remove most of the dust and crud, making the next batch less dirty and extending the life of the media.

Walnut is best for cleaning dirt and carbon, cob is best for polishing. Add Nufinish car polish to the cob for fastest polishing.
  7. tommixx

tommixx New Member

I have used sand blast walnut for years with no problems,it was ab chance product that was used to blast clean insulators.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yes I have exclusively used the blast media from Harbor Frieight, the newer lots have been MUCH more dust free, it used to be terrible stuff but QC has really improved, worst comes to worst throw in a few dryer sheets and it will reduce the problem.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

anyone use ceramic or stainless media? guys using this say its da bomb...
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id love too but too dang 'spensive..
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yes, I have recently went to a thumblers model b and stainless pins. Hands down the greatest tumbling method ever. Clean and chemical free, nothing to buy ever again. I use dawn soap and soft water and they come out brand spanking new, best of all no screwing around with primer pockets, and for those "purists" the inside of the case is mirror perfect clean as well. Yes it is more costly but it will pay for itself over time like all of our reloading toys do.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

do you have to use a rotary tumbler with the ss pins or can use a vibratory type as well?
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The SS pins are designed to work with soap and water, I'm pretty certain a vibratory tumbler would not aggetate the pins enough to work. So a rotary tumbler is key, with a water tight drum. The total weight with water, pins and brass is 15lbs so quite a bit of work is required for that kind of load. Here's a quick vid on the before and after, the brass pictured is exactly how it comes out every time.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdvq3Kc_Vm0

Here's the instruction vid.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6SOiWE8Hc
  14. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I picked up 25lbs of Walnut at Horrible Freight yesterday for $25 dollars...My hand stuck to a box of the ceramic media and it wound up in the basket also...Ill try it in a few days or so...Im thinking it may work to clean the polish ring around the vib-bucket..
  15. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

harbor freight does pay off from time to time!