Tumbling Media doing it right

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by scrat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. scrat

scrat New Member

Instead of answering to the thread on tumbling media. Thought i would just start up a new one.

Tumbling media come in a couple of different types. Walnut and corncob. the best places to buy them are at pet supplies. Petco, petsmart they come in big bags and will last forever. With this though how do you get the most out of your tumbling.

1. with new media you should add a polishing agent. (nu finish) car polish works great just one cap full should do you no more.
    2. making your media last a long time can be done with paper towels and dryer sheets. dryer sheets are the best
    a. When your wife does the laundry and then dries the clothes those sheets get them dont throw them away. place a couple only 2 in the media when tumbling. the dirt, lead and other contaminents will fill up the dryer sheets keeping your media clean.
    3. How do i clean my media. (DRYER SHEETS) run for a half hour without any shells. if your media is really dirty add a small tablespoon of acetone or mineral spirits and dryer sheets and run for a 1/2 hour.
    4. dont over put the polish. even though its cool to see the shiney brass coming out if you put too much polish in your media the shells will come out white coated with polish and will need to be wiped down. causing double work.
    5. Yes you can tumble your loads after loading it is safe. I will get back to that though.
    6. After shooting before depriming throw the shells in the tumbler for about a half hour then you can deprime and reload.
    7 once your reloads are done to remove the lube and polish them up put them in the tumbler again for a few minutes.
    8. your new shiney loads look great. ( however) all the touching you do to them will just make them tarnish. ( talc powder) baby powder. put a small amount in a bag and lightly shake . The talc powder will help keep your loads from tarnishing and stay shiney
    9. carefull the media will have all sorts of dirt collect at the bottom. once in a while its a good idea to slowly empty the media and clean the tumber. Then put the media back in. once in a while a semi wet dryer sheet or paper towel (paper towel cut into small strips) works great in getting the media clean again and working good.

10. Want to TURBO BOOST your media. Dont get caught by the wife. add a 1/2 cup of just plain old rice to your media. WOW gives your media a boost big time.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Acetone or mineral spirits with my brass sounds scary:eek:
  3. scrat

scrat New Member

LOL it evaporates. do it without the brass.

LAST THING FORGOT

DO NOT ADD BRASSO

a lot of readers mention Brasso. Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia is not good for brass and actually over time will cause the zinc to leach out causing the brass to turn pinkish in color. this will weaken the strength of the brass. Brasso is really meant for large solid brass items such as belt buckles but should never be in the same topic as reloading brass
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

i do think that given the stated half hour and then some run time with the lid off, it would evaporate off sufficiently before adding any brass. I would want to be sure that it was completely gone before adding brass, not sure how this could be verified though and what if any residue would be left behind.

IMO I think the dryer sheets get my media plenty clean enough for my taste without introducing any potentially harmful chemicals to the mix. Media isn't that expensive to toss it out and start fresh.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 science has proven that the ammonia is not good on cartridge brass, plenty of other choices out there besides brasso.
  6. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Thanks for all these tricks. I am now not only a brass scavenger but a dryer sheet one as well. :)
  7. scrat

scrat New Member

My Daughter came by the other day. She had my grand daughter with her. Well to make the long story short. Those baby wipe things. throw a wet one in the tumbler after a good 20 minutes you pull out this dark looking baby wipe filled with the dirt. Problem if i get caught im toast. So this is our little secret.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

SCRAT !!!

That dark looking baby wipe wasn't dirt dude!
  9. scrat

scrat New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA