Tumbling media... How long does it last?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Horsky1911, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

I finally stepped up to a tumbler and was curious how long media will last. I am using cob media dry. Thanks in advance.
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Depands on how often you use it and how much. I usually get aleast a year years use from a 2 gallon bag and I use it about twice weekly.
  3. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Something I discovered about tumbling media. Go to an industrial supply that sells sandblast media used in construction. I have been able to purchase 50 lb bags of both corncob and walnut for about 75 cents a pound. At that price you can afford to throw it away.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Horsky1911:

I have used both corncob and walnut media (Harbor Freight sells the walnut media). The corn cob media has a limited life but the walnut media seems to go on forever if you get the dust out of it periodically. The corncob media seems to absorb the dirt whereas the walnut media just removes it.

The corncob media is good at polishing whereas the walnut media is good at removing dirt and stains. The walnut media leaves the surface unpolished but clean and cleans the brass quicker. The corncob media may leave stains but the brass is shinier.

I have chosen the walnut shell media for regular use.

LDBennett
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use walnut ( pet bedding ) and Roosters brass polish. I save the used dryer sheets from the washing and cut them up into approx 1" square pieces. I turn on the tumbler, add a tblspn of polish. Let mix for 2-3 min and then add the brass and a handful of dryer sheet pieces. The sheets pick up all the fine residue and dirt and is easily removed. Brass comes out nicely cleaned and a good polish for my taste. I will use the media until I can see a noticealbe difference in color between what is in the tumbler and with what is left in the bag.
  6. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

I have done approximately 1000-1500 rounds of 9mm brass and 60 rounds of 7mm-08, the corn cob media is black but the cases are still coming out good in about 2-3 hrs of tumbling. I guess I am looking for more of a round count than anything else.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009