Tumbling Media

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ckelley, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ckelley

ckelley Member

A while back I picked up some corn cob lizard/bird bedding to use as tumbling media as many here have suggested before. I tumbled my first batch of brass using it today. It worked ok for polishing, but it was very dusty. Is it the type of bedding I used or is it pretty typical for the bedding to be pretty dusty? I will put some cut up dryer sheets in the next batch I do to see if that helps cut down on the amount of dust left over from the media.

Thanks,
    ckelley
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Try the Zilla english walnut lizard bedding. Also add some strips of used drying sheets or even paper towel strips while tumbling. It helps get rid of the dust.

I grew up in North Dakota and a lot of my family is still there. about 20 miles from Wahpeton. Where in ND are you from?
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use walnut and dryer sheets. If I'm adding more liquid polish, I don't add the dryer sheet until after it runs for 20-30 min and then add the sheets n brass.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have tried both corn cob media and Walnut shell media and the Walnut shell media is the most aggressive for cleaning and the corn cob media better at polishing. Since the polish on the brass does not help accuracy or consistence, I opt for the aggressive cleaning media to protect my reloading dies.

I do not use liquid or any type of polishing solution and I don't use dryer sheets to minimize the dust. I dump the Dillion tub into their case media separator and play an air stream from my compressor over it while tuning the crank. But I do this in the garage where the falling dust hurts nothing. I then wipe out the dust in the bottom of the Dillion's tub so as to reduce the dust for the next use of it.

Shinny brass is over rated. Clean brass is unappreciated.

LDBennett