Tuned used Colt or Kimber?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by BountyHunter, Nov 6, 2006.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Opinions wanted here on whether the Colt 1911 modified by Wilson’s, Clark, Baer, etc. is comparable to the Kimber off-the-shelf models.

Not a race gun…carry gun.

Price range includes the purchase of something like a $400-$500 used Colt and $800 or better tuning by a ‘smith compared to a similar priced Kimber bought off-the-rack with no tuning.

This is a free-for-all, any comparison of tuning a Colt compared to the price of a similar Kimber.

I know, if it works don't fix it.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They both have very good reputations.
    My question to you would be which will fit your hands better
  3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Hand fit is not an issue.

Do you mean an arched housing instead of a flat one?

K frame works good, so does a double stacked Glock.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

All right, I've shot my Kimber Gold Combat against a Wilson tuned Gold Cup and a Wilson tuned Springfield. They all functioned about the same. The Gold Cup actually had a stove pipe or two until my uncle added some oil. Mine never had a problem. Shot just as accurate. So, in my opinion, the Kimber is just as good. Wilson Combat would be EXCELLENT to work with and I will own thier CQB at some point because of thier reputation and service, so take your pick.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have a Kimber Custom Target that I'll shoot against almost anything. I also own alot of full custom 1911's by Les Baer,Wilson Combat, Hallock,Armand Swenson,Ace Systems,Wilson's Gun Shop and several more.

My Kimber is an exception.

As fine a weapon as the Kimber's are, they won't shoot with a full custom 1911. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Alot of hand fitting goes into a custom 1911 and all the CNC machining in the world can't duplicate that.

Country 101, did you do the shooting with the Gold Cup and the Wilson tuned Springfield Armory?? You may have been out shooting the shooter if not. :)

JMHO
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Trust me, I can't outshoot the old goat. At my BEST, we can shoot the same. I have shot them before and I shoot them the same as I do my Kimber. If I recall, Wilson garuntees either .5" or 1' on their guns at 25 yards. Kimber I know does 1" on my model. To get those groups you are going to have to have a rest, so without a rest, there's not going to be much differance. Wilson's guns are tighter for sure; that's why the Gold Cup started stove-piping. Needed a little more lube on the rails.
  7. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Well, I had a Wilson Combat and I have Kimbers........Wilson Combat is one of the finest Guns around, But don't get a nick on it .price will drop fast. I also have a fine turned Springfield Armory 1911 which I love and it shoots as well as my Kimber USA Team Match. I guess it's what you put into a gun and how well and long you been shooting plays a part. people ask me what kind of gun are you shooting and I tell them..........practice , practice and more practice.
    when you need a upgraded gun .....you will know. price doesn't always mean better.

sorry but that's my two cents from an old timer