Tung Oil VS. "BLO"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

prezzzzz
    (12/15/02 7:17:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Tung Oil VS. "BLO"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've used both but can't decide which I like better. Which do you like better and why?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/15/02 7:49:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Tung Oil VS. "BLO"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends. I used BLO on one of my SKS's and the wood never seemed to soak it up very well. And it stayed tacky. But on other guns it seems to do well. But IMHO it's just a basic stock oil. It's been proven effective through years of service but is nothing special.

Tung oil, on the other hand, has been good to me. It always seems to bring out the color and depth of the wood grain better than BLO. I have had better luck with the drying time too.

However, there is one thing to watch out for when using Tung oil. If you want a shiny finish, buy a regular tung oil finish. If you want a matte finish like you would get with BLO, you will have to look a little harder. If I recall correctly, there is one brand that comes in a blue and white can that is pure tung oil (available at Home Depot). All other "tung oil funishes" contain polyurethanes or other products to create a glossy finish. Not good if you're restoring an old battle rifle. If you can't find that tung oil, you may have to go to a special woodworking store to find it.

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Packet
    (12/15/02 7:49:56 pm)
    I have used both, but prefer tung oil. It seems to be more durable and gives a more apealing satin finish when rubbed with 0000 steel wool.

8mmSteyr
    (12/18/02 1:59:43 pm)
    Unless I'm mistaken, (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am), tung oil contains BLO. But it also contains things to help it dry more quickly and without becoming tacky. I also believe that BLO is not waterproof while tung oil is. I've never used BLO because of the posts I've read on it regarding the problems folks seem to have with it.I've had good luck with tung oil and have recently switched over to Deftoil with great results.
    And I've read that pure tung oil takes ahelluva long time to dry as it contains none of the drying additives that tung oil "finish" has.
    "Leave the gun,...take the cannoli."

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/18/02 2:50:49 pm)
    Have switched exclusively to tung oil for the past 20 years, or so.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/18/02 3:07:50 pm)
    I'm not sure if Tung oil finish contains BLO, but I guess it could. There are a lot of different products in there, and the composition varies between manufactureres.

If using pure Tung oil, some people add a Japan drier to it, to speed up the drying process. As I understand it, the Japan drier evaporates completely out, and you end up with the same finish, but it reduces the time it takes to cure.

8mmSteyr
    (12/20/02 10:49:15 pm)
    So then is there an advantage to using pure tung oil/japan drier over tung oil finish?
    Are there other additives that make "TO finish" undesirable?
    Or is it simply that a guy who knows what he is doing can mix pure TO and japan drier to his own specs for a superior finish, while the "TO finish" is a compromise for the rest of us?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/21/02 4:18:40 pm)
    Eh, this subject seems to get more confusing every time I come across it. FWIW, there is a guy on another board that goes by the name of Cabinetman. He is very, very knowledgeable about such things. He does woodworking for a living and I can't speak highly enough about him.

Here's what he said in one of his posts, regarding tung oil finishes:
    Quote:
    Home Depot does sell Tung Oil but it's labled "Tung Oil Finish" and is about $17 a gallon (enough to do a ton of lumber).

Go back to your Home Depot and find a square gallon can with a blue body. It will say "Tung Oil Finish" on it. That IS what you're looking for. Its packaged under their own lable "BEHR" brand. HD bought that company and they only make paints for Home Depot anymore.

Straight Tung Oil is not really what I'm suggesting and that is much harder to find. This "finish" here has the appropriate dryers in it and nothing else. So, go for it. This is what you want.

Other tung oil "finishes" are usually doctored up by other companies and include colors and other additives and is usually more expensive. A gallon for $17 this gallon is a bargain.

The last paragraph there, when he mentions other tung oil "finishes"..... MinWax tung oil finish falls in that category. So, 8mmSteyr, to answer your question, Behr has already done the work for you, by adding the dryers to tung oil. Go pick up a can of it and save yourself the trouble. As for the MinWax and other tung oil "finishes", they are fine if you want a glossy finish that looks like polyurethane. But the Behr stuff will end up looking more like a traditional matte gunstock.

8mmSteyr
    (12/21/02 4:47:07 pm)
    Thanks. That answers what I was thinking. I'll try some of the Behr tung oil and see if I like it better. The Behr name is one I have come across before in other posts and had looked for it locally, but couldn't find it. Now I see why. I'm "up nort" in Menards country. Home Depot just opened a store about a year ago 35 miles away. Thanks again for the research.

prezzzzz
    (12/21/02 6:52:12 pm)
    Also, I have had excellent results from "Formby's" Low Gloss Tung oil. A mild satin finish is what it gives you.