Tungsten Guiderods

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by meandmy45s, Apr 24, 2006.

1. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

Has anyone replaced the guiderod in their 1911 with a tungsten guiderod, and how was the performance of the pistol after the replacement. Personally, I don't find the 1911 in 45ACP to have much recoil, but I was wondering how much it would improve my followup shot capability. Any thoughts on the matter?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Long ago I used a Tungsten guide rod. I could tell a slight difference with full power ammo. Better with target reloads.

Now, I just find the right spring combination to help me stay on target for faster follow-up shots. After the recoil, I don't want the slide slamming forward so hard my front sight bobbles.
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

JMB built no junk. Spend the money on practice ammo, and shoot!
    My late friend, Armand Swenson, used to tell me that practice made better scores than parts, and he was extremely well respected in the business of making 1911's hum.
    If you want a heavy guide rod, go for it, then, re-learn your pistol, with the change in it's balance, but SHOOT!!!
    The 'magic' to the 1911, IMHO, is it's consistancy, shot to shot, and pistol to pistol.
    The above being said, go to the range, at night, and hang some paper plates, at 25 yards; 100 watt bulb, between you and the plates, to either side, at 10 yards. Draw, fire, recover.
    Practice puts 7 in the center of the plate, when you cannot see the sights; parts allows only a consistant ability to 'not see the sights'.
    Just my .02.
  4. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

Thanks for the feedback.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Stash is right on - here's another thought. If you find that a heavier front end helps with your control of the gun, consider adding a tac-light to the pistol. This gives you extra front end weight, plus it actually adds functionality to the pistol.
  6. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I have one in my Wilson Combat and I love it. it keeps your gun on target more.
    to each his own.
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Stash is right PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT