The Firearms Forum banner

Turkey hunting question

11K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ruffitt 
#1 ·
twins
V.I.P. Member
(5/1/02 4:16:27 am)
| Edit | Del All Turkey hunting question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any Turkey hunters here?

I posted this on GB also, I am trying to get as much info ASAP. Thanks

I would like to ask some advice. I am going turkey hunting for the first time this May (in Iowa) and would like to get some advice.
I am interested to know what the opinion of 10 vs. 12 gauge is. I have a BPS pump 10 gauge, an 870 and a 500A, both 12 gauges, are any better suited then the rest? The 870 is well used, the 500A not really used and the BPS has had about 25 rounds in ten years, what would you use and why?
Chokes really are not a big issue as I have most of those but just need to know which would be the best.
Can I use copper plate #2s (10 Gauge), I think they are BBs but I would have to look. I have had them since 1989 in the gun cabinet. As far as 12 gauge, I have some steel shot #4s, 3" that I have also had since 1989, (when I used to duck hunt) still in perfect shape though. Are 3" better than 2 3/4" or is it the shooter?
What about clothes? I just bought a suit that is pull over pants, jacket, full hood and gloves. It has mesh netting with fabric to look like foliage and is made to look like a sniper suit, kinda.
I have no decoys, are they strictly personal preference?
I have a turkey call made from bone that was a gift from about ten years ago, is it worth trying or skip it. Not that I can even use it yet.
My uncle asked me about gong so I decided why not. I hunt just about everything that moves with the exception that I quit ducks/geese in 89', any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

twins

timberbeast
V.I.P. Member
(5/1/02 8:18:15 am)
| Edit | Del Re: Turkey hunting question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twins, ya quit ducks and geese because they're too addicting, fess up!!! I haven't turkey hunted but have many friends who do. 3" always better than 2 3/4, more shot in the pattern, really have to swat those suckers. If I had what you have I'd use the ten. Not sure about shot compositions, and depending where you hunt (as far as other hunters around you), decoys can be dangerous. Lots of idiot-sticks out there.....and some who shoot at dekes. Most of my friends who have scored use calls, but sparingly, and they won't fire unless they get them within 20 yards. They also recommend a camo face net. Where my land is, I could pick them off all day with a Single-Six if I had wanted to ten years ago, now they're spooky as hell since the hunting pressure has gone up.

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(5/1/02 9:40:02 am)
don't know about the regs in Iowa but in MO can't use shot larger than 4's, contrary to popular opinion it's the placement of the shot rather than the size of the gun/shell (the 3 1/2" 10 & 12 ga. is marketing by the gun and ammo makers) my aunt always got her birds using a Winchester 37 20 ga w/2 3/4" #6, my advice would be to use the gun that you shoot best (turkeys don't allow you a second shot) or the lightest one, decoys and and the rest of that "must-have" gear just slow you down when you're chasing them through the hills and hollers if you can learn to use a mouth call they work best but you need to get in front of the bird's line of travel (turkeys are hard to get to backtrack) of course there is a plethora of "facts" about turkeys like they never cross a ditch, never can be called downhill, won't cross a fence, won't gobble after early morning, the list goes on and on and there's some truth to them but plenty of exceptions too

good luck Twins but watch out it gets rather addictive

shooter22
*TFF Staff*
(5/1/02 9:51:39 am)
Hey Chris Buddy, I watched a show on TV last fall and the guys were going Turkey hunting. Three guys were all using different calibers. They were a 20 ga., a 12 ga, and a 10 ga. They were patterning and Chrony graphing them. They found the 20 ga patterned better with 4 shot faster than both the 12ga, and 10 ga. The 20 had more in the kill zone than both the others. The 12 ga finished second and the 10 ga finished third. Freds Right, shoot what you feel most comfortable with.

Different name
*TFF Staff*
(5/1/02 3:21:10 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Turkey hunting question
CHECK THEIR ID's ---- Breath & Squeeze!

GOOD LUCK --- They're nervous critters.......
They have a body system that coordinates, regulates and controls the various internal functions and responses to stimuli
---- In Spades!

Charlie D

twins
V.I.P. Member
(5/1/02 10:11:08 pm)
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciated it. I am still thinking of getting a 20, but just haven't. I Hope to shoot my first Turkey this month!

I ran to the evil sprawlmart and found a heck of a clearance. A full body suit with leafy camo coverage, plus gloves and full head cover all for forty dollars. As well as two boxes of 10 ga #5 Turkey loads for $4 a box. Decoys are on sale for $7 each as well as the boonie hats w/ leafy coverage, reg boonie hats, a 10x10 camo burlap "blanket" and a portable leafy camo turkey blind. They must be in love with seven dollars for a price.

Gotta run but once again thanks for all of the information.

P.S. Have a great BBQ

twins

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(5/2/02 9:30:30 am)
good luck twins hope you get a big un, all that cool gear is nice and does have a use but you have to pack it in and with luck a 25+ lb bird back out every little bit counts if you're a couple of miles from the truck

twins
V.I.P. Member
(5/2/02 12:07:10 pm)
Back in for a min.

Fredneck, I did not buy much of it, I was just listing the sale prices. Since this was a last min hunt I decided to only get the "bare necessities". Camo suit and the shells.

Thanks again

twins

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.