Turkey loads for home defence

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Mp15-22, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Mp15-22

Mp15-22 New Member

Hi everyone

i was wondering if a 12 gauge turkeyload #6, 2 1/8 oz. 3 1/2in is good for home defence, and at what range its still lethal. I bought a box of those to be used in a benelli supernova tactical steady grip shotgun, With an 18in barrel. Any comments will be appreciated, thanks alot everyone.
  2. eddism

eddism New Member

Your shotgun is setup for home-defense with an 18" barrel. Them 3.5" game loads are designed for maximum density of spread over a long distance. And not intended on large dangerous animals. You ought to consider getting a longer barrel with choke-tubes so you can go have some fun with your gun.

For home-defense only, I use Centurion 12ga multi-defense loads. They are shot through a 24" invector barrel with a full choke tube. These shells incorporate the means of stopping an intruder from afar and up close.

If shotgun loads are your choice of home defense munitions. You might consider a shotgun revolver. There are plenty of choices of 410 munitions' i.e.: sabots, buck, pellet-shot, flechette and incendiary. Also, there are rubber-bb-shot for them too.
  3. eddism

eddism New Member

Your shotgun is setup for home-defense with an 18" barrel. Them 3.5" game loads are designed for maximum density of spread over a long distance. And not intended on large dangerous animals. You ought to consider getting a longer barrel with choke-tubes so you can go have some fun with your gun.

For home-defense only, I use Centurion 12ga multi-defense loads. They are shot through a 24" invector barrel with a full choke tube. These shells incorporate the means of stopping an intruder from afar and up close.

If shotgun loads are your choice of home defense munitions. You might consider a shotgun revolver. There are plenty of choices of 410 munitions' i.e.: sabots, buck, pellet-shot, flechette and incendiary. Also, there are rubber-bb-shot for them too.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    20 gauge, 2 3/4" shells, #4 shot turkey loads is my HD load. I get a 22" pattern at 30 yards with it and at 20' or less its under 3". Won't stop a bear but I never had a bear break into my storage locker and steal from me. If you want to stay with birdshot I would at least try some #4 or #3 out of your gun on targets at HD ranges.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you have any concern for your neighbors or family members a few sheet rock inches away, I'd go with a quail load. It'll do what you need in a home/apartment situation. Now, if you want to take them out in the street, that's a different scenario.
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

You could use it. It would really hurt and could kill a intruder. Doubt you will find any data on that load from a 18" barrel. You will need to test it yourself to be certain...
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Up close and personal, I wouldnt want to the one on the recieveing end of anything coming out of an 18" barrel or a 30"! Shotgun that is.
  8. Ratel

Ratel New Member

I use a Remington 870 pump with an 18 inch buckshot barrel. The load I use is Called Dead Coyote in Hevi-Shot T size. Absolutely devestating at room range and will not kill your neighbors with overpenetration. Actually any shot size from a shotgun at room range will really give a coroner a mess to deal with.

I use this size because I live in the country and actually have coyotes and other four legged vermin to contend with now and then. The T shot kills effectively when vermin get too close to the house and my pets.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Years ago my brother-in-law, and I, were out squirrel hunting. At the end of the day we backed the pick-up around to leave, and the right rear bumper hit an oak tree about 4" in diameter. The tree slid along the outer edge of the bumper, and popped back in between the bumper and rear fender. We had nothing to cut the tree down with except a pocket knife, and I wasn't looking forward to that. I ended up cutting the tree down with 4 shots from a 12 gague shotgun loaded with #4 shot. 4 shots was all it took to cut that tree into at close range. I would not hesitate to load a shotgun with #4, or #3 shot for home defense. And I personally know of several deer killed with #4 shot inside 20'.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010