Turkey Mites...interesting,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zane71464, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

On the thread about snow fall this winter and etc., Todd posted:

"Originally Posted by todd51
    Plus one Dale on needing the cold. Talked to my cousin this week as he is visiting the old home areas down in KY and was out stomping around and got hit by "Turkey Mites". He had never heard of them before and in his youth he was a big hunter. He said they were worse than chiggers and their bite reminded him of a fire ant bite."

Well, I did a bit of searching and had NO clue just what I was getting, or rather been dealing with.
    I've been out in the woods and field alot the past few weeks scouting out
    places for tree stands and such for the up coming bow season.
    I've literally felt like I've been eaten alive with all sorts of bites.

They, the bites, have been srarting from my ankles and yesterday, while out and about, (especially near the fields) I've got bites up to and near my chest area.
    I looked "Turkey Mites" up and this is what I found, and thought it was very interesting as I've NEVER had these "bites" before. It's been a dry summer around here to say the least.
    But, this is what I found;

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_treat_a_turkey_mite_bite

"According to a woman living near French Lick, IN, the "turkey lice" are terrible this year and can only be dealt with by covering a bitten area with clear fingernail polish thus smothering the lice."

I recently had my first encounter with these pests. I researched them and found out that they are actually not mites at all; rather, they are the larval life stage of the Lonestar Tick. The tick can and will feed on humans at any of its three life cycle stages (larva, nymph, adult). There is an associated rash that emerges from the bite of the lonestar tick, and it can occur in places far away from where the bite(s) is/are located. These little pests attack in huge numbers, and the itch that results from their attack is unparalleled by poison ivy, oak, sumac or the worst onslaught of chigger assault."
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Yikes..!

I knew what they were, posted back on the other thread, but those little devils sound bad if the itch is unparalleled by poison ivy, oak and sumac.

Try using Hydrocortisone for the itch. It works for me on poison ivy.
  3. Rocketman1

Turkey Mites:

Attached Files:

4. Zane71464

I'll have to get some Hydrocortisone, Rocketman1.
    I'm still looking for clear fingernail polish to try! Got every other color (gun sight coating), but no clear!
    Kinda scary lookin' critters!
  5. Zane71464

Hey Rocketman, thanks for the pic!
    I tried to get one on and could'nt figure it out? ;)
    They're evil lookin'!
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know baby oil will work on other mites. I had them 35 years ago. Tried everything. Some lady in the line at the drug store told me to just use baby oil and it worked.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dale and Rocketman. Gees I don't need some new critter to look out for. The mosquitoes and deer ticks are bad this year and now Turkey Lice/ticks:eek: . I am headed to the range today along with five or six of the Old Guys and will be checking the deer feeder and game camera so I better put some Off on my legs and stick a dryer sheet in my pocket. I will smell like a pimp but maybe it will keep some of the critters away, ha.
  8. Rocketman1

Be sure to post one of those fine range reports. I haven't seen any from you for a wheil.
  9. Zane71464

It's getting bad now that every time you go out, you have to watch out for "more" things to bug the heck out of you!
    (took a shower and painted myself with clear nail polish, on the bites and seems to be working well!)
    My neighbor took thier small dog over to the dog Dr. today as they thought it'd caught the mange. They kept flea and tick collars on it all summer, but it likes to run the fields. The Dr. there, never heard of Turkey Mites.
    I told them to ask as I thought that might be the dog's problem. Allergies...the dog has "Allergies"...new to me!
    +1 Todd and some TC pics as well! Anxious to see what you might have on there.
    I set mine out Wednesday and meant to check it today...ran out of daylight.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow does not sound like fun
  11. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Avon's "Skin So Soft" works!