The Firearms Forum banner

Turkey Sausage Recipes

847 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Airdale 
#1 ·
My shooting partner has decided she needs to eat healthier, and since I spend every weekend at her house helping out with her senile, drunk Mom and the property she lives on, I get to eat healthier, too. It helps that she's the best cook I know; that's why I got her a smoker for Christmas.

Tonight she made turkey sausage, since our tradition for this holiday includes jalapeno peppers stuffed with sausage, cream cheese, and grated parmesan. Her turkey sausage was quite tasty, but lacked the rich flavor of Jimmy Dean or Farmer John pork sausage, our usual favorites. It was her first try, and the basic recipe came from AllRecipes.com, where we're both members, but we're both going to try to improve it. My thinking is that somewhere among this eclectic crowd there's a zippy, flavorful sausage made from turkey or other really lean meat that is yearning to be shared. Raven would be acceptable, too, since we grow big ones here, and they're annoying our dogs.

Anyone care to share?

#2 ·
I checked with my sausage making books and found that the pros add pork fat to their turkey when grinding sausage. Perhaps an addition of a little ground pork would help or a tsp. of olive oil. fat=flavor

I checked the recipe at your site and it looked like a good starter recipe. Other ingredients to consider are fennel seed, nutmeg, smoked paprika, Cayenne, Garlic powder, allspice, thyme and cloves. Maybe a little cumin would be good to experiment with. Most of those I would start at a 1/4 Tsp. per pound. A little trick is to blend all spices in a spice grinder/blender before adding to meat so that everything is equally distributed.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Rawright,

After posting the above the thought occurred to me that if you were grinding your own meat you might want to grind equal parts white meat (breast) and dark meat (thigh). I bet that would drastically improve the flavor of your sausage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.