turkey stuffing

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by BETH, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what kind do u make?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

first time i did celery and onions seasoned bread crumbs and chicken broth that was it, guess it was better than nothing?????????????????
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

We fry our turkeys here. But first we cut the legs, wings, and thighs off and my wife uses the meat from them in our dressing , she makes it with cornbread onions, celery, chicken stock, spices , etc. She does the same at other times with chicken
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My wife make cornbread dressing using the turkey giblets and mushrooms, yum yum!
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

mom would always make chestnut dressing for me and dad. now, my wife just makes it plain. STOVE TOP
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

QUESTION: Do you all stuff the bird -or- cook your stuffing outside the bird...which "they" say is safer?

BEST stuffing I've ever had was my mother's sage dressing cooked in the bird. I remember as a kid her getting up at 4 or 5 am to start cooking in our old house, it was special.

We do not stuff our bird now but make plenty... outside the bird. :(
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

mom always put the stuffing in the bird . now they say that is wrong and unhealthy. well i eat it that way for probably , i'm guessing 20 years and i'm still alive
  8. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

We stuff our bird and use the box stuffing, Mrs. Cubbisons. I also like to make stovetop when we have roasted chicken. I doctor up both of them by adding sauteed onions, mushrooms and celery. It makes a huge difference if you add fresh herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme.
  9. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

I always for years and years stuffed my bird with basic herb seasoned breadcrumb based stuffing, delicious. For the last few years? A complete changeover to the "stuffin muffin"...whatever type of stuffing you like best into muffin tins, bake them up, yum. Crunchy all over, soft inside. The only way the family wants their stuffing now.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I used sage and thyme was great
  11. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

I like my dressing with so much sage that it is green. We have to make 2 pans of it because my wife says I get carried away with the sage.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that's the first time ever used it, what else do u cook with it
  13. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I like to add sausage to it sometimes, usually Jimmy Dean pork sausage with sage.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Gonna have to try it with sausage
  15. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I cook the Dressing as we hillbilly's call it, same thing as stuffing. I start out with cornbread. add aboutt 3 cold biscuits. The cornbread I cook the day before also. Tear it to pieces and mix. Then add one large Onion chopped, then about 4 lengths of celery chopped. Then a can of mushroom pieces and stems.About 3 table spoons of oil. Add 2 eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. After that I add sage and like some else said before, I like my dressing to taste sagie, so I add quite a lot. I grow my own sage so you don't have to use as much of it as you do the packeded type. After all that is mixed I add the broth of one whole chicken. I add the broth to the dressing to make it sorta thin, because it will get very solid if you don't, and I like mine a little less hard when eating. After all the dressing is mixed I then pull the meat from the cooled chicken. I then spoon a layer of dressing in a pan, then add a layer of the pulled chicken, then another topping of dressing. After that I cut about 3 boiled eggs and lay them on top of the dressing. Then I put it under a lid and leave it overnight for the seasons to KICK in and cook the day of the turkey. I hope I never get to the point to where I can't make this dressing. Because It is the way my Moma fixed it and I just can't seem to have a holliday without it. It is eaten with Jelled Cranberry sauce and Giblet gravey made from the Turkey. Ya'll should try this sometime. I do not have measurements, just eyeball it. Hope someone will try this and tell me what they think. On more thing, If you use packaged sage you will need a new batch every year, because it looses strength when left on the self for a long time. Even if you use the packaged sage always add a little more to taste as mixing it, because the cooking will obsorbe a lot of the flavor. Just my 2 cents. ENJOY! AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Cooking time varies. Usually about an hour on 375 degrees, or until the onion is clear and the celery is solft.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  16. NRA_guy

NRA_guy New Member

In the South we do "dressing", not "stuffing".

Here is a recipe that I have developed:

1 large pan of cornbread - crumbled (see below if you need a cornbread recipe)
    3 slices of toasted white bread - torn into bits
    2 boiled eggs – chopped (I don't use all the white)
    1 minced onion
    2 stems minced celery
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    ¾ teaspoon black pepper
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can chicken broth

Cook celery and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until soft but not brown.
    In a LARGE bowl, mix the celery and onions with other ingredients---adding the soup and broth last.
    Fold into a 13X9 baking dish.
    Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.

If you want a recipe for cornbread:

Grease a large cast iron skillet with solid Crisco.
    Put it in the cold oven and set the temp to bake at around 400 degrees and let it pre-heat.
    When the oven is nearly up to the setpoint, break an egg in a mixing bowl and stir it.
    Add 1 cup of Martha White Self-rising Cornbread mix. Use more if you want thick cornbread.
    Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk (more if necessary to make it so it will pour but not enough to make it runny).
    Pour it in the pre-heated pan and let it cook until light brown on top.
    Remove from the oven and let it cool a little before dumping it out onto a cutting board.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  17. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that was my mom's style, great!

Now my wife grows about 12 different herbs and spices and uses her own...I'm always asking "what was that"?
  18. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You guys are making me hungry,,, and I am full.