The Firearms Forum banner

turkish mauser actions 03/38/46 etc opinion

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  grcsat 
#1 ·
what's the concensus of these actions. even the gew88 conversions with notched rcvr?

I have this odd habit of enjoying firing cheap guns.

some of the cheapest milsurps i have ever had were quite a few years back when mosins could be had in 5-fers for 50ish bucks. and turk 8mm's about the same deal. in fact. i distinctly remember 49$ turk rifles. ;)

anyway. i shoot mine and enjoy them. just wondered what the consensus was as compaired to other actions / mauser actions. k98.. etc. etc.

#2 ·
I still have a few Turk Mauser actions kicking around and I think they are just as good as any other action. However I will say that the finish is crap compared to most other 98s. But the finish has nothing to do with the function of this action.
I have personaly rebarreled these actions to 257Roberts, 257Roberts IMP, 243, 30-06 and 7x57.
No problems so far.
I have not rebarreled to any belted magnums because the ones I have are all small ring thread size.
On a plus side, with the small tread size, you can reshape the receiver to look exactly like a small ring 98 mauser. This makes a really cool sporter.

As you mentioned, these were once a very enexpensive rifle due to all the BS rumors about poor quality (safety). Today they are going up in price just as all M98 actions.

Like any other military rifle, some are good shooters and some are real dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.