Turret press-Which one?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sjzalew, Oct 24, 2011.

1. sjzalew

sjzalew New Member

I'm trying to decide on which turret press to buy, for now I'll only be loading handgun rounds. I'm looking at the Lee Classic, Lyman T-Mag, and the Redding T-7. I'd like anyone opinion on any of them.
    Thank you,
    Steve Zalewski
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have always dreamed of getting a redding T7, bets of your list IMO.
  3. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

Take a look at the Ponsness-warren presses.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Really good experience with my lyman tmag delux kit. Great buy if you are getting started, very strong build and good solid indexing.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Welcome to TFF, Steve.

All three presses that you mentioned will serve you well. I like the Lee. My Lee turret press has been loading handgun ammo for 15+ years. Thousands and thousands of rounds and never a problem. Works for me.
  6. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I like the Lee classic turret. Very solid, made of steel. Has a very good priming system. Has a very good spent primer disposal, through the ram into a tube. It is also the only auto indexing turret. I can load close to 200 rounds per hour at a comfortable pace on mine.
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

just one thing to add to this. You can also buy the plates and leave the dies set.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Redding T-7 would be my go to with the RCBS turret then the Lyman T-mag a close third.

I myself refuse to own anything with Lee stamped, written, etched, machined or stenciled on to it. Never had a single bit of luck with anything LEE myself.

My brother was loading 222 ammo on his lee press and it snapped in half. I had lee shell holders that didn't fit but 1/5th of my brass. Had a lee universal decapper die. That lasted 2 minutes before it broke. Oh an I got their hand primer. Yeah seated 4 primers before it snapped in half (No it wasn't mil brass it was Remington 223 brass).Lee never once backed up their products for me. If you like Lee that's cool I personally will not own nor will I recommend them EVER. YMMV as this is just my account with Lee Products.

That T-7 is a massive beast of a press.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

Like the 99.9% of other thousands and thousands of satisfied Lee customers, I have had very positive interaction with their great customer service, all USA made, great affordable prices and I have been totally satisfied with my CLASSIC 4-hole turret and their Anniv. single stage. For those who do not need the uber-high speed production of a progressive I would not hesitate to recommend the Lee products I mentioned.

I reckon anyone can break anything if they try hard enough? - lol - but Lee WILL replace it, all you have to do is call.

I will also add that all the other higher cost manufacturers also make GREAT products. With proper care and following instructions, reloading gear by them all (including Lee) should last a lifetime making safe, reliable and accurate ammo.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Here are the four most popular ones. Take a look at how they are constructed. Which one looks the least strong and which looks the strongest? The first one is Redding, the second one is the LEE, the third one is the RCBS, and the last one is the Lyman. I think the LEE looks anemic in comparison to the others. I always suggest NOT buying the LEE and always suggest buying the Lyman, which is the most press for the least money. But you choose.

LDBennett

Attached Files:

11. RandyP

RandyP Member

I agree that there is no comparison, the Redding is the most massive press out of the four you pictured.

I take it from the knobs on rods that only the Lee auto-indexes? I rather like that feature frankly. Never a worry about a double charge.

HOWEVER - whatever floats yer boat and fits your budget and realistic shooting needs. I bought what fits mine perfectly and am happy - and I am the only one I have to keep happy - lol
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

well said randy.
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I wasn't trying to break anything. I called Lee all 4 times and they didn't fix the problems. So I am glad they are good to you. They were not good to me and I convey that.

Same as Leupold I had a problem with a scope and they said there was no problem. I got rid of that scope and will never buy another scope in that line ever again.

I can't in good faith say I back Lee products. Every one I had was junk poor quality and they didn't fix the problem. End of story.

I would still buy the Redding press over any other.
  14. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

That sucks, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to buy from them. I don't know how long ago all that happened and I have heard some bad stories about older products. I bought a classic turret to start because it was all I could afford and I figured it was better to start than wait. I have to say the classic turret is a very solid press. I have loaded thousands of rounds in 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 and have not broken or wore out any part yet. From what I have been reading 99% of the classic turret owners will tell you the same thing. I can't comment on any of their other presses as I haven't owned any. I have a Dillon 550 now but still use the classic turret also.
  15. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hello,

I've used a few, and I really prefer my original Lyman T-Mag, not the T-Mag II. There's some different feel about it, can't really explain it.

My second favorite, believe it or not, is the Lee single-stage. Again, I can't explain why. It's not one of the stronger ones out there... but I don't think I'd like the Lee Turret nearly as much.

I've not found a progressive press that I like.

Regards,

Josh