Two Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifles. Value estimate needed.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MulishaSoldier829, Mar 8, 2011.

1. MulishaSoldier829

MulishaSoldier829 New Member

Rifle 1
    Japanese Arisaka Bolt-Action Rifle
    Type: 99
    Series: 25
    Calibre: 7.7x58mm
    Serial #: 17665
    Markings: In Tact (Chrysanthemum + Kana inscription)
    Manufacturer: Kokura Arsenal
    Production Date: 1939-1945
    Other: Anti-Aircraft rear sight, missing cleaning rod, all original parts, wood scratched throughout.
    Rifle 2
    Japanese Arisaka Bolt-Action Rifle
    Type: 99
    Series: 25
    Calibre: 7.7x58mm
    Serial #: 51268
    Markings: Ground Off (surrendered “last ditch” Chrysanthemum w/out Kana inscription)
    Manufacturer: Kokura Arsenal
    Production Date: 1939-1945
    Other: Plain iron sights, all original parts, wood scratched throughout.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    sorry,to say but there arent much value in these jap guns,there were thousands of them sent over since wwll.actually need pictures but not worth over two hundred each old semperfi
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

You need to send pictures, Ols Semperfi is right, there were thousands brought back and ammo is next to impossible to find--but collector interest IS starting to grow and prices are going up. The last ditch gun is worth less, but, depending on condition, the first gun you describe can bring upwards of $400 with intact mums, matching numbers. An original monopod (most are missing) just sold on ebay for more than $150--so collector interest is growing. You need to post pictures and check for matching numbers. You can sometimes find cleaning rods on ebay--I don't believe they are numbered.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Pics of the receiver, safety, mum marks and the bolt handle would be nice if you can post them. With only the info provided, I'd agree with OldSF, around the 175-250 range between the two.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And give us the series marking and number on the sides of the receiver as well, that speaks volumes, and might narrow your production date down some.

The other thing is show or talk to us about the bolt handles, the safety knob, sights, buttplate, cleaning rod(s), all can tell us a lot more about the rifle.

The Type 99 probably underwent more changes in it's relatively short lifetime than any other contemporary military rifle, while they made about 2.5 million of them in that time frame, there are so many differences it is sometimes difficult to see two that are EXACTLY alike which adds a little fun to collecting them.

And they are definitely escalating in price to collectors, a FAR cry from even 20 years ago when it was not uncommon to find them available for $20-$25:eek: GOSH I wish I knew then what I know NOW, but then again, that's the story not only of MY life but many others too!:D
  6. MulishaSoldier829

Thanks for the input everyone. I will post the pictures you have asked for later today.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Arisaka rifles with ground Mums sell for approximately $175. Add about $50 for an intact Mum. These are general prices for average condition.
  8. MulishaSoldier829

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

The rifle with the ground mum is late production--roughly made, fixed peep sight, wood butt plate--commonly referred to as a "last ditch" rifle. The other with intact mum is also late war. It is missing the wings from the aircraft sight. These are the short rifles--both are in pretty rough shape and are probably in the $100-$125 dollar range. If you can post pictures of the serial number, it should be possible to determine who manufactured it and the series.