two old guns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grengar, May 27, 2003.

1. grengar

grengar New Member

Hello everyone. First time posting although I have been checking out the boards for about a week now. Pls excuse my ignorance about firearms as I am just now starting to get into them. I am enjoying the learning process however.

I just inherited 2 guns from my Great Grandfather and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of a value for insurance purposes.

1. its a winchester model 97pump action shotgun. 12 gauge with the exsposed hammer. My Great Grandfather purchased it in Nebraska in the 40's I believe. The bluing is not 100% but still looks decent with no rust and just some discoloration. The action is smooth and stock shows normal wear but it looks much beter than a 50+ year old fun. I dont have the serial # with me but I know it was made in new haven ct.

2. second gun is a winchester model 74 (i cant remember so if I am off there I apologize) 22 lr. also made in new haven ct its got the long barel and its a tube fed semi from the back. The bluing is great on this gun and the stock looks almost brand new. My great grandfather was always cleaning his guns so they are both in great shape.

If anyone could shed some light on this for me I would apreciate it. thanks
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Two classic Winchesters, and you have them correctly identified.

With serial numbers, we can pin down the year of manufacture for you on both models.

Typical value on the 97 is $250-$400 depending on condition, assuming no extraordinary features. Value on the 74 is $100-$150.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hi grengar, and welcome to The Firearms Forum! Sounds like you inherited two very nice firearms from your Great Grandfather. They should be cherished.

It sounds like the Doc has a pretty good handle on your questions. Serial numbers are always helpful in determining value, but make sure you "X" out the last two digits. No sense in giving out more information than is absolutely necessary. :)
  4. grengar

grengar New Member

Thanks for the heads up and the welcome. I will grab the serial numbers tonight after I hit the range. I have fired the 22 several times, it was actually the gun that I learned to shoot with. I have never fired the shot gun although thats what my father used to crush me in trap for years. Thanks again for the help.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi grengar......welcome to TFF.

We're very friendly here.....we even welcome cheeseheads! :D

Ya, sure, you bet!
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Welcome Grengar, glad to see a new face around here.
  7. coyote 270

coyote 270 Member

grengar, for a quick education on what your guns might be worth, try checking out www.gunsamerica.com and www.gunbroker.com Click on there catagories for modern day shotguns and you will get quite the education. I was just there looking at all the Winchester 97's, and it sounds like yours would put them all to shame. I have three that I am thinking about trading off and wanted a current idea what they were worth. And I think alot of those guys with there 97's for sale are sure big Dreamers. :D :D By the way, welcome to the forum from another beginner.
    Last edited: May 29, 2003