Two Questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hankroberts, Dec 6, 2007.

1. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

Hey, you guys that are up to speed on what's currently out there: two questions for you.

Back in another century, I purchased a Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 kit and built a handgun I've been using for years. This had an old frame with a separate plunger tube, and the darn cheap thing shot loose and fell out (after only thirty-something years).

First question: short of buying a custom staking tool (kinda expensive for a single-use tool), is there a good way to stake the tube?

Second question: is anyone still making those kinds of kits? You could get them then in several configurations: slides/kits; slidekits without slide; frame/kits; framekits w/o frame; complete kits (frame, slide & all parts) ... and you could get any of those in either mil-spec or match (requiring fitting of all mating parts).

I bought a complete mil-spec kit for $240 and they erroneously sent me the $280 match kit, which they let me keep rather than hassle with return. I worked it down below match grade to improve field reliability but retain accuracy, and have carried it in some really nasty environments without a single failure. Except for the mistake of keeping the milspec sights, I LOVE that gun. And I'd love to build another, if I can find a cost-effective kit. Suggestions?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Let your local gunsmith replace the plunger tube. And no, you will never find another kit gun at that price. Parts are available but by the time you pay the bill, you could have bought a new 1911.

Best bet is to buy a used Springfield Armory mil spec 1911 and do a custom build. Or better yet, a Norinco 1911 if you can find one. Just make the necessary changes to suit yourself. :) Both are excellent platforms for custom work.

You can buy everything you need for your project here.
    www.brownells.com
  3. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

Although I knew I'd never get another kit at that price, I was hoping maybe there were some bargains still out there. Oh, well, I'm not shocked. As for Brownells, you're right: they're the best... been doing business with them for 20 years or so, and NEVER been dissatisfied. Thanks for the info.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

hankroberts:

The closest you can get is the Rock Island 1911. It is a complete gun but it is rather inexpensive compared to all the others on the market. You should be able to get it for under $400 almost anywhere and if you look around you may be able to do substanitially better. And if you care, it can be bought in California unlike the Tarus 1911 which is the next best thing in 1911's, price wise, feature for feature. The RI is also sold by Hi Standard of Texas as their 1911. It is made in the Philippines by Armscor and is of reasonable quality. It can be customized with after market 1911 parts and most will fit.

I bought one originally for the frame to use with my Marvel Precision 22LR Conversion. I changed out all the trigger parts to get a better trigger, and added a beavertail grip safety. The only part that didn't fit correctly and need lots of work was the safety. The trigger worked out excellent and it did the 22LR thing great. Then with the 45ACP parts laying around I thought maybe I'd make a project out of the top half of the RI. I added a Bomar Rib with sights, a group Gripper to tighten the barrel to slide/frame fit and a fitted barrel bush. The resultant accuracy in 45ACP amazed me.

My son-in-law bougth one as just a 45ACP 1911. Out of the box it shoots fine. I did do a trigger job on the original parts for him and he loves it.

LDBennett