type 38 arisaka at the gun shop

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by new sks 2005, Jun 20, 2007.

1. new sks 2005

new sks 2005 New Member

i found a type 38 arisaka with no holes or markings on the receiver the bolt is bent and the asking price is 120.00 is this a good deal??? the rest of the rifle looks to be in very good shape but what do you guys think.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm a little concerned about the bent bolt, did somebody try to sporterize it?

When you say no markings, does it have just no mum and type characters on the top, or is it missing the arsenal stamp and series marking and serial number on the side of the receiver too?

And I wonder what happened to the holes, HHhmmm. I thought ALL Tyoe 38s had the two "gas escape" holes in the receiver between the mum and the type characters....

I wonder if maybe it was partially "converted" to a sporter, or else fully converted and then converted back. Many guys did that, they make wonderful deer rifles, and that might explain the bent bolt if they tried to mount a scope on it. I'm not sure a collector woiuld pay you much more for it....

What shape is the wood?

Having said that, all Jap stuff is escalating pretty rapidly, so if the bore looks good, and everything seems to work, it's probably not THAT bad a price...all of the "collector" T38s with all the markings except the mum seem to bring in the neighborhood of $175-200 now.....

Plus now with Hornady Custom and a few others starting to make the 6.5x50 round again, I'm seeing more and more of it at shows, it would make a nice shooter....or heck, a project to take it BACK to a "sporter," like I said it's a NICE Deer round....I knew an "old guy" in Pennsylvania back in the 70s-80s that hunted with a sporterized Type 38 Carbine, had a nice scope on it too, and he called it his "Jap .25....":p He killed quite a few deer with it too...:D
  3. new sks 2005

new sks 2005 New Member

its weird, the reciever has no marks on it at all it looks like it never had any.i didnt look at the serial number but i will take a look . can i bend the bolt back straight? the wood looked good and it had that cool japanese rusty patina. i think i might just buy it.:D
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Ah yes, another guy after my own heart....

"Patina" is an acquired taste!

(Although I never really saw the difference between "Japanese" patina, and say, oh, maybe the kind you get on an old '97 Winchester like mine...;) )
  5. Too true, Polish. Mosin Nagant rifles are particularly noted for acquiring a nice "patina" . . . after a Russian winter or two. German Mausers, of course, are immune to such mundane things. :D ;) :p