Type 56 SKS and cosmoline

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Hey there guys... I have come across an old Vietnam era SKS type 56 :AR15firing:(all matching #'s) and Im trying to clean the cosmoline off of the receiver and trigger group... what is the easiest way to get this stuff off? Can I soak it in mineral spirits? Or do I just have to disassemble (No disassemble... #5 is alive) and scrub the stuff off with my gun solvent?
    Thanks,
    Shawn
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hot water detergent and some phenyl is best to remove cosmoline

its sticky gooey but heat helps ( makes it thinner and come off better )
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Jack404... whats with the link to the ozzy government site on the tax... I spent my 3 months there back when 10 Tanker was doing its trial run down at the Avalon Airfield, in Victoria.. (Nice visit) back in 2010
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Boil the trigger pack and the bolt and carrier in an old pot with some dish soap (Dawn really does get grease outta your way)

And use Brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush for the barreled action. Then spray it all down with rem oil and wipe it all off and reassemble.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

which tax??? with the UN in charge we've a gazillion taxes ;)
  6. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Please don't forget to dissamble the bold and clean the fireing pin and inside of the bold. take care the fireing pin will go in two ways but only one is right. When you have them correct the fireing pin should rattle when you have them back together.. I used warm min spirts on mine and didn't have any problem. Warm not hot like 90 degrees F
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Your not kidding about that firing pin... looks at quick glance .. like it can go in any direction.. I did study it before cleaning it. Thanks for the heads up.