Type 56 SKS... keeping the value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ShawnDow, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

O.K.,
    I know the type 56 SKS's are a "dime a dozen" (thats .0083 cents by the way). But.. I have one that has all #'s matching, and it needs a better stock to make it a safer useable firearm.
    My question here in lyes.. Would the unit be worth more with its matching S.N. beat up stock.. or with the safer, better looking replacement stock?
    The reason I ask.. I had the notion of stripping the replacement stock and giving it a "snow pattern" type of grey stain job (medium and light grey stain in no particular pattern). Or would I be killing the value of the better stock?
    I plan on keeping the original just because of the S.N.'s
    Thanks for any info,
    Shawn

Attached Files:

2. Ken W

Ken W New Member

I'd keep both stocks the way they are. If the original is too damaged to safely use than just use the other one but keep it around just to have the one it was made with. Altering anything on a milsurp always devalues it as far as I'm concerned.
  3. jmace57

jmace57 Member

I had one in even worse shape. It was a Vietnam bring-back. It set in a garage or somewhere humid and the stock literally was dissolving in my hand. I felt like I had no choice but to re-blue the metal and got a new Chinese stock. I know it is no longer original, but at least it is now functional.

Here is the "before" picture when I disassembled it... Stock was literally crumbling apart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All parts:

[​IMG]

After photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012