Type 99 Arisaka 7.7: Need info and value please

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by macktruck1967, Sep 16, 2009.

1. macktruck1967

macktruck1967 New Member

Good morning all, I am new to your forum, having registered this morning. I am hoping you guys can help. 20+ years ago, I bought a Jap rifle from a WW2 vet. He called the gun a sniper rifle (is it?) and said they had killed the one who was hidden in a tree and firing on them, and this was his gun. The rifle, as best as I can determine, is a Type 99 7.7 Arisaka. He said he brought it back from the war in his duffle bag. Based on internet searches, I seem to not be able to get a clear picture of what style the gun is. If possible, I'd like to i.d. it exactly and get an idea of it's worth as I would like to sell it. Here is the info from the gun: It measures 44" from end of barrell to butt plate, has the airplane rear sights, fold down wire monopod, has the mum intact and has the dust cover. The action is smooth and appears to work well. The forearm wood, like the rest of the gun, has dents, scrapes, discoloration, large nicks, etc. The rear stock is the same condition; and the stock has a horizontal seam where it appears that it was made in two pieces. I can't tell if it is a repair or if it was made that way. The bore still has rifling in it, but I really don't know what to look for in the way of wear. I have never shot the rifle and don't intend to. I have some digital pictures and will post a few to help. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is the "horizontal seam" referred to that black line in picture 2? If so, it looks to me like the stock was dropped on the toe, split and was glued back together.

If he brought it home in his duffel bag, I would expect that, if you remove the rear barrel band, you would find the stock is cut in two. This was common in bringing home war trophies, as this made the stock short enough to fit in the duffel bag.

The mum makes it worth more. The sight makes it worth more. The monopod makes it worth more. The dust cover makes it worth more. The repaired stock lowers the value. If it has a duffel cut, that will lower the value.

I doubt it was a "sniper rifle". I'm not aware of the Imperial Army having dedicated sniper rifles. But if someone was perched in a tree, shooting at me, I'd probably call whatever he was using a sniper rifle. :)
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Would need to know what the markings are on the rifle; from the pics provided, I think that it's indeed a 99. Can you provide a better close up of the safety also. If there is only a mum marking and nothing else, it may prove to be a late war model which would drop it's value significantly, as these were thrown together and highly unsafe to shoot. The safety is the biggest give away on late war models; the had no knurling in an effort to save time and money. It does appear that yours has been knurled, just cant tell 100% sure.

On the horizontal "line" in the stock, this is common on arisakas, they were made that way. Alpo is spot on with the thinking that the forearm may be cut vertically under the rear strap. I wouldn't recommend removing it to find out though.

As far as value goes, I don't think this one would fetch a whole lot; it's got some good points to it, but doesn't outweigh the general overall poor condition. At this point, my best thinking would be in the $200-250 range. Bore condition would be important to know also. If you can get a pen light and a white piece of paper; put the paper in the mid chamber and shine the light through the barrel; looking from the muzzle end. Look for either shiny/dull appearance and see if the lands/grooves are sharp and defined. This will give a general bore condition.

Summary of need to know more :

markings - serial number especially, photos if you're able

photo of close up end of bolt

photo of chamber and bolt face

bore condition

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  4. XP100

XP100 Member

Take the butt plate off. Look at the end of the stock. You will probably see a dovetail. The stocks were made using two pieces of wood. If there is a dovetail it was NOT broken and repaired. Its does not appear to be a sniper rifle. Just a standard issue type 99.
  5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It has anti-aircraft sites and a monopod and a bolt dust cover. That makes it more valuable to a collector. It also makes it an early example. Does the bolt # match the rest of the rifle? Is the "Mum" intact? There should also be the makers mark next to the serial number. They are stylized markings like a stack of cannon balls. It won't say Kokura or Nagoya. As a rule, the Arisakas aren't that valuable. Most can be had for $100 to $200. With all the bells and whistles you have, maybe up to $350.
  6. jondar

jondar New Member

If you could use your digital camera to take a picture of the left rear top of the receiver where the serial number and the logos indicating the maker,and other identifying marks are located we could give you a pretty good estimate. It appears to be a nice rifle and if a desirable maker, could surprise you what it's worth. Every Type 99 i've ever seen has had that "crack" in the stock. I was stationed for a while in Korea and brought back a Jinsen made rifle made there at the Jinsen Arsenal. It came with a Mukden bayonet tho so no match there. I guess Mukdens were made in Manchuria. Go far enough north in Korea and you're in Manchuria.
  7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Early Arisaka rifles (as in before 1944) were well made and very strong actions. The "last ditch " guns were trash. Check on the top of the reciever -by the mum- and on the left side of the reciever for the arsenal marks and series # to identify your gun. Try the collecting and shooting surplus rifles web site for more help. These actions were very strong and (after cleaning) perfectly good shooting rifles; get some ammo and try it out. The value should be in the 250.00 +- range and the monopod, dustcover and mum do make it a complete rifle. It does look like the rear sight is missing the vertical pieces to make the "aircraft sight" complete. Clean it and shoot it, have fun.
  8. bayonut

bayonut New Member

Hello mactruck1967. I saw where you had listed this rifle for sale but was unable to respond to your ad. I am interested in your rifle and I an local. Please contact me at 9 3 7 4 7 8 3 6 2 8
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

300-400-tops. I am surprised it still has the dust cover on the bolt and the wire monopod/bipod.
  10. spartanmark11

spartanmark11 New Member

That is definitely a type 99, the markings on top will tell the manufacturer. I got one that has the dust cover, monopod, and the mum all intact and on the gun and all those things do increase the value of the gun. Also mine has the bayonet with about 98% of its blueing on it, also with the gun I have the nco, "samuari style" sword. All these bring up the value as well. 100% it is worth around $400, also if it has the monopod you add 20%, and if it has the 31.5 inch long barrel (which is the non-sniper) version you add 75%. From the pics yours does seem to be in rough shape, which is expected, i mean this rifle was used in war. With a little TLC (tender, love, and care) you could probably fetch around $300 for it. If you need any help on determining what the markings mean let me know, i have a book with all the information about it. Hope this helps.
  11. Ken W

Ken W New Member

You do realize that this thread started about 2 1/2 years ago, right?
  12. smrkyy

smrkyy New Member

the lower end of the stock where it seems to be glued on is normal for this rifle and judjing by its appearance it is an early war production that was handled by an un expirienced shooter