Type 99 Arisaka rear sight help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rybur, Jul 25, 2011.

1. rybur

rybur New Member

I recently got an original complete AA sight for my arisaka rifle since the original sight had a spring missing, and of which eventually broke off.

I had read that there were slight differences between nagoya sights and others, something to do with a flattop "3" on the elevation numbers, but it looks just like the one on my nagoya rifle (but in very good condition).

What I need to know is how to remove the pin holding the sight to the reciever without damaging the pin or the gun too much.

Any tips or information you have would be greatly appreciated.
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I put some Outers bore cleaner on the pin in mine, and let it soak while I was at work.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I took a broken drill bit and covered the tip in jb weld, then carefully tapped it out. However, if you had a brass punch the proper size i'm sure that would be the prefered method.
  4. rybur

rybur New Member

All right, thanks guys. I'll see if I have the correct size punch and try that.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If you are going to work on many of the rounded pins, order a set of cup head punches from Brownells to prevent marring the pin with a flat punch and also prevent the punch from jumping off the pin and marring the gun.

Jim