The Firearms Forum banner

type 99 arisaka score

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
was in gander this am looking for some scope rings and happened to see a 77 arisaka on the used rack.

wood was un-sanded, but someone had applied a light coat of PU or minwax on it.. furniture had obviously been taken off to do so as no clear coat ont he metal. metal retains about 90% of it's original finish.. bore is nice, action is crisp.. AA sights missing and mum is about 85% ground off.. nice knurled knob... they only wanted 99$ for it.. I had to grab it.. even with no aa sights, ground mum and some clear on the wood.. the actiaon was at least worth 99$

almost NEVER see a deal at gander.. really surprised me..

#2 ·
Great find sg!:cool:
That Arisaka action is extremely strong.
I think the only thing wrong with the rifle is that the sights need to be twice as big.
If yours is going to become part of your wall display like mine a local outfit called www.museumreplicas.com sells very good repro slings, bayonets and frogs.

#4 ·
The bolt knob shouldn't be knurled--sounds like someone may have tried to sporterize it. The only bolt knobs I've ever seen are oval/egg shaped or cylindrical.

Gander Mountain is supposed to test fire all used weapons that they sell them, but Arisaka ammo is hard to find and expensive. Better check to see if it has been rechambered for a .30-06 or other cartridge.

#5 · (Edited)
not the bolt handle.. the safety. I've seen welded last ditch ones with no knurling.

no evidence of sporterization either... wood has plenty of battllefield character marks. still has metal butt. every sporter I see they machine off the sights.. tap it for rails, add a rubber butt pad, cut all the forewood away and repalce one of the bbl bands and then sand the wood.. or drop it into some sort of MC stock

they had it marked as 7.5x55 i'm guessing it isn't :).. that's a swiss cartridge for the schmidt reub...

i'm betting it it still being 7.7x58.. easy enough to see what it will swallow though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.