Type of Powder for .303 cal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Nevermind, May 6, 2009.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind New Member

I want to reload .303 PMP cases with 150gr points. What will be the suitable powder to use ie. slow burning, medium burning, fast burning, etc?(S355, S365, ect)

Also, what type of primers works best with PMP cases?

Regards
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. islenos

islenos New Member

I use IMR 4895 for all my milsurplus rounds, including .303
  3. Nevermind

Nevermind New Member

Thanx for the reply.

I see that the IMR4895 is the same as SOMCHEM S341, which is a double base spherical powder. What does this exactly mean?

What type of primers and projectiles are you using and what accuracy do you get with that combination?

As stated, I am using PMP 150gr factory load bullets. Does the barrel twist really affect accuracy as well?

Regards
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

Twist of Barrel will determine what weight of projectile that best suited for accuracy.
    Spherical powder is aka Ball Powder or Military Powder.
    I use CCI 34 primers in all my reloading.
    All the other data I'm unsure of at the moment, it's been so long since I have played with the .303 but I will see if I can find my notes.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find RX15 works well with the 150 gr. projectiles, and IMR 4350 seems to work well with the 174/180 gr. projectiles, accurate 2520 is also a good one, as well as some others. Those listed are my top 3. I have not used anything lighter than 150, my enfield sports a 1 in 10.5" bbl and shoots the 174s quite well;)
  6. Lunicy

Lunicy New Member

cordite :)
  7. firewrench044

firewrench044 New Member

IMR 4064 with 174 FMJ gives me the best accuracy
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of that mil-surp crap from sportsmans guide once waaaay back when i got my first enfield #4, Every 4th round hang fired and a few were duds. I pulled the duds apart and found the cordite sticks were covered in green s*** and the flash holes were completely filled with the same crap. Those cordite sticks are good fun if you light one end and throw it down on the concrete. like a cheap low grade white phosphorous grenade:D
  9. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Is Cordite available anywhere, if I remember correctly, it looks like spagetti