Types of Dies (Question)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Winchester 70, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Which types of dies do not require the cases to be lubed prior to reloading?

Thanks!
    John
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

For straight walled pistol cartridges that would be a "Carbide" sizing die.

For bottle necked rifle cartridges all full length and neck sizing dies require lube except one and only one. That would be the Lee Collet Neck sizing die.
  3. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Thanks Steve!

John
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use RCBS or Redding neck sizing dies for 5.7X28,.204 Ruger, .223, .308, and 30.06 and have never used a drop of lube on any of them. The neck portion of the bottle necked case is a straight wall, is it not!
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You can buy rifle dies in carbide, but they still require lube. ( and a faaat wallet !! :D )

I don't see any point in buying pistol dies in anything other than carbide or TiNi.

I have come across many of people ( mostly sellers on flEaBay ) that have no idea how to tell if a die is carbide or not. Most of the time, it's stamped on the die, but if not, look at the end of the die, if you can see an insert, then it's carbide. There's no sense in putting a steel insert into a steel die. The carbide insert will be shinier than the steel also.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kind of off topic but i've been thinking of buying a neck only sizing die for 30-06 and .243.I only use them in the same guns.I was wondering do they ever get tight in the chamber where you have to FL size them? Joe
  7. woolleyworm

Yes, at some point most will need a FL resize. Depends on the load though, I do know a few guys that neck size only and they only neck size until the cases give out. They don't anneal either.
  8. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

I love the lee carbide Pistol die sets, they are all i use. Though, I do not reload pistol for accuracy. I load just to plink. For rifle, I love the Lee collet neck sizer. It makes your brass "fire formed" to your rifle and gives you better accuracy. If only lee made it for .30-338 Win Mag.....But you can't even buy ammo for it, handload only.
  9. woolleyworm

The neck sizer just resizes the neck, it just "leaves" your brass fire formed. Fire forming occurs in the chamber of your gun and not any die. Not trying to be a butthead about it, just being the typical A-retentive me... :D