types of wildlife eatened and hunting woodchucks

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by frontierman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. frontierman

frontierman New Member

Hi everyone, Does anyone have any experience hunting woodchucks? I heard that they're suppose to taste good. last year I got involved in squirrel hunting and eating. After the initial apprehension it wasn't such a big deal. I live in upstate ny and the only time I see woodchucks are by the highways or around the towns and villages that I go thru. never seen them in the deep woods. since they are a non protected wildlife, I figure that it would be another way of broadening my wildlife palet. and since I'm on the subject of wildlife cuisine, I'm curious about all the diverse wildlife that people eat and what are their impressions and would they recommend it to others. my list so far; squirrel,alligator,bear, pheasant and deer. the bear meat was given to me by a neighbor who had gotten it from his brother who hunts bear. didn't know how long the meat was in his freezer, but I cooked it and found that it had a gamey taste to it. unless someone had a different impression on this, I'm not a big fan of bear meat.:)
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I had asked this question a long time ago. I got a mixed response. Mostly negative for some reason. I figure if the eat the same stuff as cows and deer they can't be too bad. I haven't taken one yet though. I think I'll wait till it cools off before I take one to eat. This way they are fatter, and the pests on them won't be so bad. I'm thinking a slow cooker with the liptons french onion soup mix.
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Also, check out the cooking and recipes forum. There are some woodchuck recipes in there.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    In Central Oregon, where my parents have their farm, rockchucks, a close relative of the woodchuck, are very plentiful. I've hunted them often and it's quite a challenge to shoot them at 75 to 100 yards with a .22lr and still have them laying there when you walk up to check; a solid head shot is required to keep them from crawling back down into their holes. A .22 Hornet works much better when other farms are close, but if you can find a field with plenty of room behind the target, using a .22-250, .243 or similar cartridge out to 400 or 500 yards is a hoot.

I've never eaten them but hear that they are very tasty if cooked in a hasenpfeffer recipe.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont eat much critters, mostly because i dont hunt much. i know a guy that eats anything and everything. and he says woodchuck is good if it is a young one.
  6. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Armadillo and crow are just a couple of my favorites.
  7. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Woodchuck, groundhog, same animal I think. Back many years ago one of the favorite sports of my older cousin and her husband was to ride around in farmer's fields and shoot them from an open convertible. Yeah, it was completely legal then and the farmers welcomed them as groundhogs make a mess of the ground. A scoped 22 hornet was the gun of choice when I, as a snot nosed kid went with them. I think old Bob graduated to something a little larger later.
    I don't know if groundhog or woodchuck are good eating or not but Bob always had folks waiting for the kills.:D
    oldogy
  8. Sandman

Sandman Member

squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, ducks, geese, nutria, wild hog, javelina, deer, elk, antelope, alligator, pigeon, pheasant. I may have tried raccoon, but I can't remember for sure.

There is probably more, but I will have to think on it for a while. I am from Louisiana after all.
  9. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Let's see, mine would include:

Dove
    Quail
    Pheasant
    Deer
    Cottontail rabbit
    Rattlesnake
    Frog
    Wild boar
    Duck
    Goose
    Bear foot
    Alligator
    Elk
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Bear does have a gamey taste -
    Cook it with a LOT of onions, then scrape the onions off and pitch them. They remove the wild taste completely.

My list?
    dove
    quail
    squirrel
    pheasant
    duck
    goose
    rabbit
    bear
    deer
    caribou (extremely low fat!)
    moose (the best of the bunch, like Angus beef)
    Raccoon
    Groundhog (too greasy for my taste)
    snapping turtle
    Ground squirrel (not much to them!)
    aligator
    I don't know if they qualify as game, but I also enjoy frog legs, crawdads, snails, mussels, oysters, squid, octipus, and a hundred varieties of fish including carp and eel.

Do you get the idea that I am not very picky about food?
    True - -
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

"frog legs, crawdads, snails, mussels, oysters, squid, octipus, and a hundred varieties of fish including carp and eel."

Have done all of these. Several varieties of turtle also.
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I'd pass on the Amadillo as they are a known carrier of Leprosy. Ixn-ay on eth-ay Dilloarma-ay :D

Deer
    Squirrel
    Rabbits
    Alligator
    Elk
    Moose
    Caribou
    Quail
    Duck - many varieties
    Pheasant
    Turkey
    Grouse
    Raccoon
    Dove
    Soft Shell Turtle
    Squid
    Crabs
    Shrimp
    Mussels
    Scallops
    Frog Legs
    Snails
    Crawfish
    Bowfin or Grennel to all the Coon Asses :D
    Worms, Crickets, Grubs and Minnows
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  13. Sandman

Sandman Member

"Bowfin or Grennel to all the Coon Asses"

Actually, we more often refer to those as choupique (pronounced shoe-pick for all you non-Louisianians)
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I forgot that name, been gone form LA since 1980 with visits in between. :D
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have had C'yote and Mountain Lion also. I will tell you this there is no better meat than that of a mountain Lion. C'yote wasnt bad but it was a bit greasy. Had a flavor all to itself but it wasnt bad.. Got another two months and I will be adding Guinea Pig to that list also.