The Firearms Forum banner

Typical Fallout of a batch?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  11B-101ABN 
#1 ·
When I'm reloading, I generally end up with say 2 or 3 rounds per 50 that don't gauge correctly and I have to pull the bullet etc. Seems the issue is mostly with the case head not being perfectly (subjective word) round.

Is that typical with reloading used brass? Seem high? low? About right? I am loading 45ACP.

Thanks in advance for your response.

#2 ·
I reload .45, as well as several other calibers. I have been reloading for about 35 years, and I have never gauged brass, bullet, or completed round. If they are about the same length as a factory round, and they function in my gun, I'm good to go!

#3 ·
Need a bit more info, pls. What kind or gauge are you using? What part of the cartridge is unacceptable? (diameter, OAL, bullet dia.?).

I have reloaded 45 ACP for two simi-autos for only 17 years and use the plunk test exclusively (I have a Wilson gauge somewhere...).

#4 ·
The completed round doesn't drop completely in, I can nudge it in. I am reasonable sure that it's the concentricity of the case head to the gauge. I'm just curious if this is typical when reloading or correctable. Additional text in the picture attached.

Text

I'm using a Dillon Case Gauge. I've also used the barrel from my 5" Colt and it's the same behavior on those that fail
.http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages

#5 ·
I have also been loading .45 for over 35 years. Like Carver, I have never measured or gauged any of them. If the slide puts it into the chamber and the thing goes boom, I am happy with it.

I am going to have to say that what you are experiencing is probably typical and again, if it loads in your pistol, shoot it!

#6 ·
if it goes thru the resizer , and it isn't one of those partially unsupported chamber type guns, i'd be inclined to agree witht he guys. if it chambers run it.

PS. wasn't clear if this was new to you used brass, or brass that came out of your gun.

once it has been fired in your gun see if it chambers in the gauge better after sizing..

#7 ·
4 to 6 percent defective is "probably typical"?

If they are not chambering correctly, and you think it is because the casehead is "not completely round", it sounds as if you are not sizing them correctly.

#8 ·
I'm sizing them with the resizing die that came with a set of Hornady dies. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp Die (taper) to apply a light taper crimp. They typically fall into the .469-.470 where the bullet meets the case.

Perhaps my resizing die isn't reaching full depth (if there is such a term here) on all of the cases? Would reaching a full depth ensure concentricity of the case head? I guess I didn't realize that part of the case was really "resizable" as it's more rigid than the rest of the case.

When you guys are reloading, do 50 out of 50 always pass the plunk test on used cases? These are cases I've shot, picked up at the range etc. Some may be once fired, most likely more than once.

Thanks,
Jeff

#9 ·
I too have been reloading 45ACP for several decades. I never have gauged any of it (or any other straight walled handgun cartridges) and normally get 100% of it that looks fine, feeds reliably, and shoots fine. It is important to use manuals for reloading to get the correct load power level (closer to full load then starting load), set up the reloading tools correctly, avoid over taper crimping, and setting up the seating die to not exceed the maximum OAL (better to use the suggested OAL for each bullet weight as recommended in the reloading manual load data). Get all that correct and the reloads should come out perfect.

But I use a Dillon RL550B, mostly RCBS dies, and other excellent tools. Use lesser tools and the results may vary (for you LEE lovers notice I did not mention them by name as lesser tools).

LDBennett

#10 ·
Would not that parenthetical phrase count as "mentioning them by name"? :p

Reactions: zant
#11 ·
45 brass gets beat up----and you can pretty much keep reloading it until it cracks.
I load on a Dillon 550, and case gauge my match ammo with a Dillon case gauge.
4%-6% sounds about right---the beat up rim (which does NOT get resized) just won't
drop into the gauge.

I toss those into the "practice ammo" box------and in well over 2000 rounds of "practice"
ammo in the last 5 years have never had a malfunction due to the beat up/oversized rim.:cool:

#15 · (Edited)
It may be your case gage. I got one from Dillon several years back after losing the one I had from Midway. Suddenly about 1/3 of my .45 ammo would not pass the dillon gage. The top of the gage should measure .480 thats where the rim hangs up right? I called Dillon and the guy I talked with said they only cut that part to .476. I asked why the books I have ALL say the spec for the rim is .480 , and how do you check headspace if the rim won't go in all the way? Well, I had a buddy with a lathe cut the top out to .480 for the thickness of the rim, about .050. Then All my ammo passes. But I got a Wilson also to be sure. So check your gage, and if it only is .476 at the top, then you need to send it back, or get a wilson they cut theirs with a slow taper that starts at .480 at the top, and goes down to .473 where the lip for the mouth to stop is.

#17 ·
Dropping rounds into the barrel of your weapon works well, I did that for many years back when I only had one gun. I have found that a large majority of mass produced jacketed bullets are sized to .451 which tends to standardize the dimensions of the reloads. But I began making and using cast bullets in 1990 and the variables that will cause problems began to stack up. At one point, I was making 5 different loads for my .45 caliber weapons and marking the boxes as to which weapon that particular load would fit or not fit. That was when I started using a case gage in an attempt to standardize my loads. It was not until I got the Dillon case gage that my troubles similar to the troubles described in the original post began. The gage may not solve the problem for Jeff Smith, but it is another place to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.