U.S. Army Colt Model 1917

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Itzomi, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Itzomi

Itzomi New Member

Well, gentlemen, I'm hoping to hear I've got a winner here! I inherited this from my parents, a Model 1917 US Army Colt. I was told this particular piece was made in 1919.

My question is, based on the condition, what do you reckon it's worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Danny

Danny Member

:)U do a have a prize there for sure. I have been collecting pistols for a very long time & in my opinion your pistol has a 1500 or more price tag on it.Keep it cleaned & well oiled for your kids.
    Regards
    Danny:)
  3. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

fur sure its worth shootin

very nice of your parents to pass along such a nice item. enjoy.
  4. Danny

Danny Member

Please put that rifle up for display. Its to old to shoot Gal. But now you have a very nice 45acp revolver that u can plink with. I collect as I have stated and very seldom do I shoot any of my collectables. There you have a 95% pistol and shooting it quite often could harm the value. What other goodies did your folks give ya? By the way where do u live cause I want to steal that pistol(LOL)? Did u say something about San Francisco in a thread about the smoke pipe? Anyway take care of that weapon & do not get rid of it. In 10 years you could double the value I suggested. Take Care Little One.:)
    Danny
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Since the lanyard ring blocks the first number, I tried all it could be, with that curve. The website says both 39566 and 99566 were made in 1918.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

$1500 would be the value for a 1917 Colt in 99% condition. This one appears to be in 85% condition and would bring about half that much.
  7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Regardless of the worth I am jealous. Thanks for sharing.
  8. Itzomi

Itzomi New Member

Suh-weeeet!! I just took some outdoor pics, better lighting, so you guys can get a better gander. What say you about the condition now?? 85%? 95%?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. Itzomi

Itzomi New Member

Mine says N2 69 566. So would that indeed be 1919?
  10. Itzomi

Itzomi New Member

If I go through them and list 'em all, ya promise to let me know if I have anything good?? :)
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

39566 to 99566 were made in 1918, so 69566 would have been also.

I've got some bad news for you, if you were planning on selling it for much money. The barrel has been replaced. Collector value has gone down the tubes. Original barrel was 5 1/2" long with a rounded front sight, that is flat on the back.

[​IMG]

Your barrel looks to be closer to 7 1/2", and has a ramp front sight.

You have what is referred to as a "shooter". It's a good gun. Strong as hell. Worth, maybe, 3 to 4 hundred.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  12. Itzomi

Itzomi New Member

Alpo, are you sure it has been replaced? It says itself on the barrel, "New Service" & 1917. See 3rd photo in the first post. Thanks!
  13. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

From the latest photo, I estimate the finish at 75% to 80%. The right side of the barrel is missing most of its original blue.
  14. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i have to go along with 75% to 80%. blue is getting rather thin. i too suspect a re-barrel and a non-factory re-barrel at that. factory repairs, or changes to a firearm ( at colt i can't speak for others) were marked / stamped since yours doesnt show any stamps other than normal production stamps it's safe to assume it was re-barreled somewhere other than the factory. i would place the value at around 750.00
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm afraid so. Check out this site http://www.littlegun.be/arme americaine/colt/a colt 1917 gb.htm and this one http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=403708 , looking at the pictures. There's some nice information in post #3 on this one. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=913799 On the left side of the barrel it should say COLT D.A. 45, and on the bottom it should say "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". Since yours does say New Service and 1917, and the sillouette looks right, I suspect that the barrel is a factory replacement, or a major gunsmithing firm (like Kings or Pachmyar or Christy's) had it made and put in their stock for people that wanted to modify their military surplus firearms (very common thing to do, back in the 20s up to the 60s), but I am absolutely sure it is a replacement.