U.S. Pastor Given 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don Buckbee, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351922,00.html

U.S. Pastor Given 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia

Monday, April 21, 2008

MOSCOW — A Moscow court on Monday sentenced a U.S. pastor to more than three years in prison for bringing hunting ammunition into Russia.

Philip Miles, from South Carolina, has been in custody since his arrest on Feb. 3. He was arrested several days after customs agents at a Moscow airport found a box of rifle shells in his luggage.

The court sentenced him to serve three years and two months in prison, with the sentence calculated from his detention date.

Miles has said he brought the ammunition for a friend and did not know bringing such ammunition into Russia was illegal.

Miles, dressed in a dark jacket and clerical collar, reacted calmly when the sentence was pronounced.

"I'm very disappointed. It's a strange sentence for one box of hunting bullets," he said.
  2. Haligan

Haligan Active Member

This type of thing is not as far away as it seams.
    If Ted Kennedy has his way this would be in the U.S. as well
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    It sounds to me like the Putin government is trying to send a message to their own people. My guess is that after the fervor dies down he will be quietly shown the door, shoved through and told never to come back.

Then again, I may be completely wrong. This is Russia after all...
  4. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

Ya think The Right Reverand Jesse Jackson would go over there and try to get him out of prison?
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

This is just a snippet of the article. The man has been to Russia almost a dozen times and still brought illegal goods in. We would have a very similar punishment for a very similar crime- I'm not sure if smuggling requires criminal intent- but ignorance is no excuse for bringing illegal goods into a country.

Like most the world Russia has much more restricted gun laws. The man should have looked into customs and laws before trying to bring something like ammunition in.

I know few of us here would tolerate ignorance as an excuse for bringing something (or someone) illegal into this country.

EDIT:
    Under Putin the condition of average Russians as improved significantly which explains his approval rating our politicians could only dream of (steady around 80%).
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

These rules are not new. Russia has some of the worlds strictest gun control laws.