U.S Revolver Co. 32 caliber 5 cartridge revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BDevlin2, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BDevlin2

BDevlin2 New Member

The revolver is not safe to fire. The cylinder registration and top strap latch are loose. Additionally, it was in storage for over 20 years and is a bit rusty. However, I would like to make it look nice. I have some information on Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and Blue Wonder Armadillo. I've not done any restoration like this before. Does anyone have suggestions?:confused:
  2. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I've done complete refinish on a half dozen or so of these Iver Johnson/US revolver and H&R pistols. Some in Dura Coat gun paint and some in cold blue. I break them down completely and usualy boil them as well (when bluing), but that's just my personal method. I've never been completely satisfied with the cold blue jobs but they were acceptable. I'll use it for touch up and small projects like this but I avoid the bigger ones anymore.
    In any case I'm no expert but I'd just like to say that I've seen Wonder Blue video where they sanded all the way down to a 600 grit wet dry paper and I've also heard some say that it doesn't matter how pollished the prep becomes. I respectfully disagree.
    I personaly took a prep job down to 600 wet dry paper on one occasion and the 600 had it looking like chrome. After applying the blue it looked like black tinted chrome. Repeted coats failed to darken to any degree. IMHO, there is just no way that mirror finish was going to accept a dark cold bluing but I'm sure you'll get lots of various input on cold blue here. Good luck!
    Terry
  3. BDevlin2

BDevlin2 New Member

Thank you Fusebox40. Is Dura Coat a product like Blue Wonder? Does sanding get off the rust? If so, what paper should I start with? My questions may be very simple. However, although I've worked as a body man and repaired many wreaked cars, I've not done this on hard metal. I don't want to do something that will leave the revolver scarred.
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes, sanding will remove the rust and the finish as well if you want to strip it. I would say try about 2 or 3 hundred grit to strip it and finish it off with maybe 400. Different brands and paper type will differ in the same grit so experiment. You may need to go heavier to strip but then you don't want to make more work by leaving to heavy of sand lines.
    Dura Coat is actually a very hard durable paint that comes with a hardener you mix and apply with an airbrush. It comes in many colors and also a premixed aerosol for those that don't want to use an airbrush. It's a great alternative to bluing and can be applied to metals, wood or plastic grips/stocks, polymer, just about anything. you can look it up online if it sounds interesting. I'll throw in a pic or two here of some pieces I've used it on just for an example.
    Whatever you go with, use a good cleaner to remove any conaminants prior to finishing. Don't even touch the metal with your fingers once it's cleaned, especialy if bluing it.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Did the stock on this shotgun in matt black and and the pistols in matt black and titanium.

Attached Files:

6. BDevlin2

BDevlin2 New Member

Thank you for the advice and pictures. I will try to post pictures of the revolver before restoration and after.