U.S. Revolver Co

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SilverBullet07, Oct 15, 2010.

1. SilverBullet07

SilverBullet07 New Member

I was just given a U.S. Revolver Co Double Action which looks to be a 38. I was wondering if any one would know the date of the gun by the serial number. It is 15780

Length : 6 3/4''
    Barrel 2 1/2''
    It has the drop out cylinder.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Did you get the serial number from under the left grip?, if a letter prefix was used, this is where it will be located. The US Revolver was Iver Johnson's mail order gun, 1910 to 1935. A picture of your firearm would help identifying it to whether or not it was a large frame of medium frame and a picture of the top of the barrel. If there are no letter prefix under the grip it was made in 1911. Iver Johnson went to smokeless frame in 1909 so if your revolver is in good mechanical condition modern ammo should be safe in it. Now if there is a letter prefix under the grip, then that changes the date of manufacture. Get back to us. My info comes for Mr. Bill Fourths Iver Johnson's book and he can clear up any errors I've made and comment farther.:)
  3. SilverBullet07

After checking under the left grip I found F15780. I also attached some photos.

Attached Files:

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The two line engraving was used between 1918 and 1935. Because of the solid frame, we will have to wait for Mr. Goforth's expertise. In his book he list serial numbers for the Automatic Ejectors but not the solid frame. With your excellent pictures he will be able to give you more information. He will be along by and by. He is a busy man but I believe he trys to check the forums every day or so.Added Note, I found the list of serial numbers for the solid frame US revolver but it only lists the pre-fix D.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. Henry DeBord

Henry DeBord New Member

I have a winchester model 64 219 zipper in good condition with origanel peep sites whar is it's value
  6. SilverBullet07

Great and thanks for the information you provided.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Mr. DeBord,

Since the gun you are asking about has no connection with this thread, please open a new thread and we will try to help you. Thanks.

Jim
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a large frame double action model serial number F 15780 was made in 1926, there were 10,000 of this model made that year. no left over parts were used in this model all are rated for smokeless powder.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. DOUBLE ACTION------------------1911-1935
    This revolver was manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for sale through mail order catalogs. Like the top break version it was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog. Features an unfluted cylinder and round barrel in all lengths, grip panels are hard rubber with U S at the top; oversize two piece hard rubber grips were also offered. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, the standard barrel length was 2 ½ inches on all frame sizes. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, medium frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds, cylinder capacity: Weight: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 10 ½ ounces, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 12 ounces, large frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 17 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 inches, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 1/8 inches, large frame with 2½ inch barrel 6¾ inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION;
    VALUE; 100%=$125 60%=$75
    bill
  9. SilverBullet07

Thanks bill for the fine information.