1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

U.S. Springfield 1860 parts?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by kiayker, Jan 18, 2007.

1. kiayker

kiayker New Member

I'm helping a friend restore a family heirloom Springfield 1860. OK, so maybe this is the blind leading the blind, but I have shot a few guns in my lifetime, and she hasn't, so I guess that's suppose to make me some kind of an authority :rolleyes: Anyway, the gun is missing what I believe is the cover to the Maynard primer tape box (?). It's a piece that opens on the lock, and in pictures they seem to generally have an eagle engraved on them. Is there a place where I can get one of these and the screw to attach it? An original would be nice, but I could live with a reproduction. And I guess I should ask what is it properly called? I've been informed that we should not do any work to the rifle other then oil it - is that right? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for the help :)

Scott