U.S. Westinghouse Mosin Nagant "what does the brass circle on the stock mean?"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by hamster, Aug 30, 2012.

1. hamster

hamster New Member

I have a mosin nagant made by westinghouse. I have done some research on the rifle and found that it is a U.S. made nagant under contract back in 1915. It has an SA stamp inside a box that appears to mean it was once in Finnish hands. There is a D on the receiver that may mean Dragoon? But what really stumps me is this brass circle plate on the side of the stock that says HKK22? I have seen them on swedish mousers but why on this nagant and what does it mean? The gun has matching numbers on the receiver bolt and buttplate. Any answers would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

The upper stamp should denote what Finnish unit the rifle was assigned to from what I can see, and the bottom is just what number of rifle it was in inventory. I don't have access to the books regarding the Finn captures but you could probably go to the Russian Mosin Nagant forum and ask, I'm sure one of the guys there will know exactly.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

4. hamster

hamster New Member

The two pics are from the site that I used for ref. to the type of gun, but the pic of the stock with the brass badge is my gun. The big mystery I have is the badge.... I haven't seen one on another nagant
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

they are a common arsenal marking , we did similar here for a while and its as Mogunner said the HKK gives it away as finnish , the 22 ?? thats a fair bit of research ( or not )
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

OK, I give up; what does the "HKK" stand for. The only meaning I can find is the airport code for Hokitika, in New Zealand, which is about as far from Finland as you can get and remain earthbound. I would assume the "22" is a rack number or property number.

Jim
  7. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

H.K.K "Häme" cavalry regiment (Hämeen ratsurykmentti in Finnish) according to the fellows over on the Mosin Nagant Forum, 22 being a rack or inventory number. These discs were usually removed which makes this one a nice find and a great addition to a collection.
  8. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Or...H.K.K. could mean HuoltoKoulutusKeskus (Service Schooling Center)

It's still not confirmed but the guys are working on it, any which way you look its an uncommon Mosin.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Thanks. I have a little knowledge of several languages, but I can definitely say that Finnish is NOT one of them. It is supposedly related to Hungarian, which is not one of them either.

Jim