Uberti "New Army" Reassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. tyc

tyc New Member

It's got me stumped for the moment and I don't want to break it ...

I recently had the "Hand" fail on the Uberti "New Army" (aka UNA) black powder .44 and having purchased a new "Hand", attempts to install it have failed. I've looked at various still or JPG exploded parts illustrations and a couple of youtube videos showing how to assemble and re-assemble the UNA but for the life of me I don't know what I'm doing wrong, as after attaching the "Hand" to the hammer I'm unable to pull the hammer/Hand assembly upward into position. If any of you have experience with this, it'd be appreciated if you'd fill me in with respect to what I'm apparently doing wrong.

tyc
  2. tyc

tyc New Member

Finally got it!

It appears that prior to re-assembling these UNA weapons, it's best to lubricate the parts. The spring part of the "Hand" which was cleaned but not lubed when attempting to install it, would bind inside the case but once lubed, a good solid jerk upward moved it and the hammer into position so the rest of the handgun assembly could take take place.

What this has shown me is that the "Hand" is the "weak link" in what is otherwise a very solid firearms design. While a very simple "technology" the "New Army" design is now well over one hundred and fifty years old but with that said, the brilliance of the individual(s) involved in the initital design and manufacture is indeed something to marvel at.

tyc