Uberti Regulator -- Broken Spring?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cooltouch, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch New Member

I have a SA revolver labeled "American Arms" and "made in Italy" on the bottom of the barrel, "S.A.Cal.45" on the side of the barrel and "Regulator" on the top of the barrel. I'm assuming it's a Uberti -- sure looks like one. This revolver does not have the cross bar, I believe it's called.

I bought it used but in virtually unfired condition several years ago. Since then I've probably not even put 200 rounds through it. I enjoy shooting it, but I just don't get out to the range as often as I'd like. Had it out shooting with it today and suddenly noticed something was off. The cylinder had stopped rotating -- or at least rotating consistently. I don't know the names of the parts, but after removing the cylinder and inspecting the way that sawtooth-shaped piece that moves the cylinder was behaving, I began to suspect that a spring had either come loose or let go. Seems to me the part should be under spring tension, but it isn't. It's just flopping around now.

Before I found this forum, I was doing a bit of googling, and ran across several comments regarding the springs in the Uberti, and how some folks had had failures with them. So, I'm thinking that what I've experienced may not be so uncommon.

I also read a couple of references to a Wolff spring kit for this gun, and even found a listing for it at Midway. One of the comments wss that it made for a lighter overall action. So, I'm tempted to order this kit, especiallly since it seems likely that I'll need to be replacing one of the springs anyway. I also own a Ruber Blackhawk, and there is a fair amount of difference between the two in terms of the action. The Uberti's hammer draw requires probably twice the force of the Ruger. But the Uberti's trigger pull is a bit lighter and a bit more crisp.

One other thing I was looking for was any sort of repair guide for the Uberti. From what I understand, it's a clone of the Colt SAA, so is it reasonable to assume that a repair guide for the Colt would suffice for the Uberti?
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

What you have is a broken hand spring. The spring is peened into a slot in the hand. You can fabricate your own spring or buy a new hand with the spring installed. If you buy the new hand it is not a drop in fit. It will be too long and will have to be filed down to properly time the cylinder.
  3. ignats

ignats Member

Ditto the above. I checked Numrich while I was looking for a 38 Super Slide and both seem to be sold out. Rats. The good news is, Uberti is a popular brand and from what I've seen, ain't goin' away. Judging by Numrich not having a hand for your gun or a Remington 1858 (which has always been a big seller) leads me to believe your problem is not uncommon.

I would try eBay and GB for that part. But, as previously noted, a new one will probably have to be fitted. That's a job best left to a pro. The other way is to do as previously stated and try to put a new spring in that part. You might be able to do that if you are real careful. They do sell the spring separately but I've seen that part in person, and I'd be a little skittish about trying to open up that slot and then peening it closed again. You could try or again, let someone who has worked with these type of weapons do it. I would find someone who is real familiar with single action pistols.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

http://www.vtigunparts.com/
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/
    There's several places to find parts. Opening the peen isn't a big job. Some have claimed good luck with making hand springs out of bobby pins and safety pins etc. Fitting a hand isn't that difficult either, especially if you have a hand that's properly timed to go by. If not just put it in and try it, file a little and try it. It requires several tear downs to get it right but it's not hard to do. As far as that goes you can install a coil spring and plunger from a Ruger but it does require a drill press to drill a hole in the frame for it.
  5. cooltouch

cooltouch New Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and for the links, Hawg. Reckon I'd better disassemble it before I start ordering stuff, see what I''ve got in there.

Seems to me that a spring shouldn't suffer from fatigue so soon -- if that's what is causing the failure. I'm leaning toward buying the Wolff kit. It's priced reasonably compared to the prices I was seeing at the above two websites. Plus I think I'd like a bit less force required to cock the hammer anyway. Anybody here have any experience with the Wolff spring kit?
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got Wolff springs in my 73 clone. They're a little too light for my liking. The four clicks are barely audible. I've never had a failure to fire tho and I use CCI primers, so they do the job.