udate on US cleaning

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 26, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

well tonight I tried out my new step in relaoding.. i added an US cleaner. found one in my deceased FIL's stuff.. decent sized one (i guess? ) it will hold about 125 30-06 brass in it's basket. has heat and timer or just 'on' untimed.

I vibro cleaned about 250 30-06 today.. got em nice and shiney. been expirementing with vibro cleaner mixes. am using 50% lymans treated cob media, 25% ground cob media bedding, and 25% white rice.. has worked out GREAT. Someone had sugested putting in a teaspoon of powdered car wax or rubbing compound for extra shine.. but so far i have not, nor have i added in walnut media.. I hear it gives a matte finish... i'm not looking for that.

anyway after vibro tumbing the first 125 I had put it into the hot US bath and ran it while doing erands and working around the house and eating tonight. just took the first test batch out. MAN O MAN what some nice looking brass that makes. I have them in a disposable aluminum hd turkey roaster pan in the dryer rack in the clothes dryer setting on some paper towells while the last batch US cleans. I have some assorted 44amp, 35 rem, 30 carbine and 270 win in the vibro tumbler now...

got plenty of 243 and 222rem waiting their turn. i got weeks of brass prep to do.. :) sigh...

thanks for all the good advice i got on the US cleaning.. it's working out great!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Careful putting cases with different mouth sizes together in the tumbler. The smaller ones will slip into the bigger ones and the ends of the case wont clean up.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And sometimes they can get stuck that way.
  4. soundguy

i'll keep an eye on them. my vibe cleaner tends to neatly stack my brass at the center, mouth up, bottom down... pretty neat deal...
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yep, I found that out the hard way a little while back too.
    I usually mix 9mm and 45ACP in the same load with no problems, but I was doing a bunch of .40S&W range-pickups with those loads and I was getting neat little triple stacks. The 9mms stuck inside the 40s and the 40s stuck inside the 45s.
    Never had this problem with my old homemade rotary tumbler, it just started happening after I got a new vibratory cleaner.
  6. soundguy

so far no stacking for me on that load, but I'll keep an eye on what brass types i mix from now on. that one had 30c 44amp, 35 rem, and 243 I think.. mixed quantities...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just keep the mouth sizes close enough they wont slip into each other and mix away.

you could without worry, do .380, 9mm, .38 specs, .357s, .358 winchesters, and .35 whelens all in the same batch... ;)
  8. soundguy

came out find with the only ones I thought might nest are the 44amp.. and none did. i only have a handfull of 44amp anyway.. so it's a non issue anymore.. the rest of my cartridges are bottleneck brass mostly.. that and a smal handfull of 30xcarb.. which, like the 44amp.. only had a few and they are now done.. so no issues..